Contact: Matthew Hart
AMHERST, Mass. – Sweeping singles play with six straight-set triumphs, the top-ranked Amherst College women's tennis team kept its perfect record against Division III opponents intact on Sunday with an 8-1 home triumph over Wellesley College.
Isabel Camacho '14 and Sarah Monteagudo '16 were winners in both doubles and singles play as Amherst improved to 15-1 on the year, dropping the Blue to 11-10.
Monteagudo and Camacho got the Jeffs off to a strong start with an 8-2 win at second doubles over Wellesley's Suzanne Barth and Veronica Lin before the top Amherst duo of juniors Jordan Brewer and Gabby Devlin finished off Sojung Lee and Diana Granger, 8-3. The Blue picked up their lone point of the afternoon at third doubles as Catherine Matulis and Kendall Tada outlasted Mary Soyster '14 and Rebecca Pol '16, 9-7.
Amherst had little trouble icing the win in singles play, winning every set by at least two games. Sarah Nyirjesy '13 made quick work of Lin with a 6-0, 6-1 takedown at the bottom of the card before Sue Ghosh '16 dominated the No. 1s match with Lee, 6-0, 6-2. Lauren Slutsky '14 clinched the Amherst victory as she topped Tada 6-3, 6-0 at No. 5, while Monteagudo downed Granger 6-2, 6-2 at twos and Camacho handled Matulis in the third slot, 6-2, 6-4. Lara Min '16 completed the singles sweep with a 6-4, 6-3 triumph over Barth at No. 4.
The Jeffs will look to complete a perfect NESCAC schedule on the road next Saturday as they travel to No. 3 Middlebury for a 1 p.m. contest.
AMHERST 8, WELLESLEY 1
1. Jordan Brewer/Gabby Devlin (A) def. Sojung Lee/Diana Granger (W) 8-3
2. Sarah Monteagudo/Isabel Camacho (A) def. Suzanne Barth/Veronica Lin (W) 8-2
3. Catherine Matulis/Kendall Tada (W) def. Mary Soyster/Rebecca Pol (A) 9-7
1. Sue Ghosh (A) def. Lee (W) 6-0, 6-2
2. Monteagudo (A) def. Granger (W) 6-2, 6-2
3. Camacho (A) def. Matulis (W) 6-2, 6-4
4. Lara Min (A) def. Barth (W) 6-4, 6-3
5. Lauren Slutsky (A) def. Tada (W), 6-3, 6-0
6. Sarah Nyirjesy (A) def. Lin (W) 6-0, 6-1