Contact: Matthew Hart
NEW LONDON, Conn. – The top-ranked Amherst College women's tennis team had little trouble extending its undefeated record against Division III and NESCAC opponents on Thursday at Connecticut College as the Jeffs picked up their fourth consecutive 9-0 win in an impressive show of depth.
Sweeping doubles, Amherst (11-1, 4-0 NESCAC) jumped to a quick lead when their top duo for the match of Sarah Monteagudo '16 and Isabel Camacho '16 set down Jen Herbert and Brittney Cangemi 8-3, and No. 2 pair Mary Soyster '14 and Rebecca Pol '16 handled Sara Krivoshik and Alexis Ditomassi by the same margin. Lauren Slutsky '14 and Lara Min '16 completed the sweep with an 8-4 win over Charlotte Marcoux and Shivani Sinha.
The Camels (3-7, 0-3 NESCAC) offered little resistance in singles play, with Monteagudo's 6-4, 7-5 win over Ditmoassi at No. 1 marking the closest affair of the evening. Amherst dominated at the bottom of the card, with Soyster downing Aneeka Kalia 6-1, 6-1 and No. 6 and Sarah Nyirjesy '13 taking fifth singles from Cangemi 6-2, 6-2. Camacho topped Herbert in the second spot 6-3, 6-2 before Min finished off Marcoux 6-2, 6-4 at No. 4 and Slutsky completed the blanking with a 6-4, 6-3 third singles win over Krivoshik.
After a weekend off, Amherst returns to conference action at Tufts on Monday, April 15, at 4 p.m.
NO. 1 AMHERST 9, CONN. COLLEGE 0
1. Sarah Monteagudo (A) def. Alexis Ditomassi (C) 6-4, 7-5
2. Isabel Camacho (A) def. Jen Herbert (C) 6-3, 6-2
3. Lauren Slutsky (A) def. Sara Krivoshik (C) 6-4, 6-3
4. Lara Min (A) def. Charlotte Marcoux (C) 6-2, 6-4
5. Sarah Nyirjesy (A) def. Brittney Cangemi (C) 6-2, 6-2
6. Mary Soyster (A) def. Aneeka Kalia (C) 6-1, 6-1
1. Monteagudo/Camacho (A) def. Herbert/Cangemi (C) 8-3
2. Soyster/Rebecca Pol (A) def. Krivoshik/Ditomassi (C) 8-3
3. Slutsky/Min (A) def. Marcoux/Shivani Sinha (C) 8-4