Contact: Matthew Hart
WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. – Jordan Brewer '14 rallied for a three-set triumph at first singles, clinching the win for the top-ranked Amherst College women's tennis team as the Jeffs held off archrival and third-ranked Williams College 5-4 on Saturday after a sweep of doubles play.
Williams took three of four singles contests to go the distance, but it was too little too late as Amherst's dominance in doubles along with wins by Zoe Pangalos '14 and Brewer were enough to keep the Jeffs (14-1, 7-0 NESCAC) unbeaten against Division III opponents as they defended their fall dual match win over the Ephs (14-4, 4-2 NESCAC).
Amherst jumped in front quickly in doubles play as Brewer and Gabby Devlin '14 rolled 8-1 past Williams' top duo of Rebecca Curran and Kara Shoemaker. Jen Newman '14 and Pangalos kept it going with an 8-4 triumph over Kathleen Elkins and Maria Pylpiv at No. 2 before Caroline Richman '13 and Safi Aly '16 completed the sweep as they held off Nancy Worley and Veranika Li 8-5.
Pangalos picked up another quick point for the Jeffs as she took down Alex Stone 6-4, 6-2 at sixth singles, but Williams began its comeback bid as Pylpiv downed Devlin 7-5, 6-1 in the fives contest. A dramatic ending seemed possible with the remaining four pairings continuing into a third set, but Brewer dashed hopes of an Eph rally as she rallied from a 6-4 first-set setback to Shoemaker to grab Amherst's fifth point with 6-2 and 6-1 triumphs in the final two.
With the match outcome decided, the Ephs picked up three more points in comeback fashion as Elkins topped Newman 5-7, 6-3, 6-4 at No. 2, Curran was a 4-6, 6-3, 6-4 winner over Sue Ghosh '16 in thirds and Worley pulled out the tiebreaker to outlast Richman 4-6, 6-2, 7-6 (4).
Amherst will be back in action on Sunday, hosting Wellesley College at 1 p.m.
NO. 1 AMHERST 5, NO. 3 WILLIAMS 4
1. Jordan Brewer/Gabby Devlin (A) def. Rebecca Curran/Kara Shoemaker (W) 8-1
2. Jen Newman/Zoe Pangalos (A) def. Kathleen Elkins/Maria Pylypiv (W) 8-4
3. Caroline Richman/Safi Aly (A) def. Nancy Worley/Veranika Li (W) 8-5
1. Brewer (A) def. Shoemaker (W) 4-6, 6-2, 6-1
2. Elkins (W) def. Newman (A) 5-7, 6-3, 6-4
3. Curran (W) def. Sue Ghosh (A) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
4. Worley (W) def. Richman (A) 4-6, 6-2, 7-6 (4)
5. Pylypiv (W) def. Devlin (A) 7-5, 6-1
6. Pangalos (A) def. Alex Stone (W) 6-4, 6-2