Contact: Matthew Hart
ATLANTA – The second-ranked Amherst College women's tennis team completed an undefeated weekend at Emory's Fab Seven Tournament on Sunday morning with a 5-0 win over No. 15 Washington and Lee University. As inclement weather forced the match indoors, the Jeffs (5-1) and Generals (11-4) played to decision with Amherst notching the shutout when Jen Newman '14 and Sue Ghosh '16 won their singles pairings after a Jeff sweep of doubles.
After wins over No. 4 Emory and No. 1 Johns Hopkins, Amherst picked up where it left off on Sunday morning as the first doubles pair of Jordan Brewer '14 and Gabby Devlin '14 put the Jeffs ahead with a quick 8-2 downing of Sonja Meighan and Patricia Kirkland. Amherst completed the clean doubles sheet when Caroline Richman '13 and Safi Aly '16 beat Chelsea Mixson and Claire Cahill, 8-5, and Newman teamed up with Zoe Pangalos '14 to edge Meghan Buell and Cameron Dorsey, 8-6.
The squads began each of the top four singles matches, but play was called once Newman had finished her No. 2 takedown of Buell, 6-2, 6-0, and Ghosh handled Allison Hupalo in the fourth singles contest, 6-1, 6-2. Amherst also held leads in the two unfinished pairings, with Brewer up 4-2 in the second set of her No. 1 tilt with Meighan after a 6-1 first-set triumph and Richman tied 4-4 with Kirkland after taking the opener, 6-2.
Pangalos was scheduled to face Cahill at fifth singles while Devlin was paired with Mixson at No. 6 before the Jeff shutout gave the two juniors a day off from singles play.
Amherst returns to the Northeast and NESCAC play with a 9 a.m. contest at Hamilton on Saturday, March 30.
NO. 2 AMHERST 5, NO. 15 WASHINGTON AND LEE 0
1. Jordan Brewer (AMH) vs. Sonja Meighan (W&L) 6-1, 4-2, unfinished
2. Jen Newman (AMH) def. Meghan Buell (W&L) 6-2, 6-0
3. Caroline Richman (AMH) vs. Patricia Kirkland (W&L) 6-2, 4-4, unfinished
4. Sue Ghosh (AMH) def. Allison Hupalo (W&L) 6-1, 6-2
5. Zoe Pangalos (AMH) vs. Claire Cahill (W&L) unfinished
6. Gabby Devlin (AMH) vs. Chelsea Mixson (W&L) unfinished
1. Brewer /Devlin (AMH) def. Meighan/Kirkland (W&L) 8-2
2. Newman/Pangalos (AMH) def. Buell/Cameron Dorsey (W&L) 8-6
3. Richman/Safi Aly (AMH) def. Mixson/ Cahill (W&L) 8-5