MIDDLEBURY, VT – The second-seeded Amherst College women's tennis team defeated No. 3 Tufts University this morning at Middlebury College in the semifinal round of the 2008 NESCAC Women's Tennis Tournament. The victory pushes Amherst into tomorrow's Championship match where they will once again face Williams College.
Amherst is looking for their fourth consecutive outright NESCAC Championship, and third straight win over Williams in the title round. Last season, Amherst had the comfort of home court advantage for the tournament, but will need to pick up a win at a neutral site tomorrow as Middlebury is serving as the host this spring.
In the semifinal win this morning, Amherst took a 2-1 lead out of doubles play after dropping just the number threes match. The top-ranked pairing of sophomore Brittany Berckes (Secaucus, NJ) and senior Alicia Menezes (Staten Island, NY) cruised to an 8-2 win in the top spot, as they look to be hitting their stride as the NCAA Tournament approaches once again this season.
In singles play, Berckes gutted out a tough match over Meghan McCooey, winning 7-5 and 6-4. The Jeffs also received a strong performance from senior captain Monica Snyder (Newton, MA) in the number four slot. Snyder dropped the first set 4-6, before rebounding for a dominating 6-0, 6-1 stretch to take the match.
The Lord Jeffs will face the Ephs tomorrow at 9 a.m. for the title, after No. 1 Williams picked up a 9-0 win over No. 5 Bowdoin today.
Amherst 6 : Tufts 3 – Saturday, April 26, 2008 – Middlebury, VT
1. Berckes/Menezes (A) def. Cenko/Homma (T) – 8-2
2. Brown/Wexler (A) def. McCooey/Miller (T) - 8-4
3. Browne/Stewart (T) def. Stein/Murphy (A) - 8-6
1. Brittany Berckes (A) def. Meghan McCooey (T) – 7-5, 6-4
2. Julia Browne (T) def. Jill Wexler (A) – 6-3, 6-2
3. Laken King (A) def. Erica Miller (T) – 6-2, 6-1
4. Monica Snyder (A) def. Andrea Cenko (T) – 4-6, 6-0, 6-1
5. Natasha Brown (A) def. Mari Homma (T) – 6-1, 6-2
6. Edwina Stewart (T) def. Jennifer Murphy (A) – 7-5, 7-6 (6)
Hosted by Middlebury
Friday, April 25
No. 5 BOW 5, at No. 4 MID 4
No. 3 TUF 5, vs. No. 6 WES 4
Saturday, April 26
No. 1 WIL 9, vs. No. 5 BOW 0
No. 3 TUF vs. No. 2 AMH - 11:00 am
Sunday, April 27
Championship - 9:00 a.m.
No. 2 AMH vs. No. 1 WIL