WILLIAMSTOWN, MA - The Amherst College women's tennis team traveled to Williams College for a non-conference match with the archrival Ephs. Williams took four of the six singles matches, but the Lord Jeffs swept the doubles matches to pick up a 5-4 victory. The win marks the first team result of the fall season, as the Jeffs had taken part in two tournaments prior to their match with Williams.
Sweeping the doubles matches was not easy for Amherst, as the Jeffs hung on for victories of 8-6, 8-6 and 8-5. Seniors Alicia Menezes (Staten Island, NY) and Monica Snyder (Newton, MA) were each involved in very close losses in singles play, as they took their respective opponents to three sets.
The Jeffs received solid performances from a pair of first-years, as Natasha Brown (Woodland Hills, CA) and Carlissa King (Laurelton, NY) won in the fourth and sixth singles matches, respectively, for much-needed Amherst wins.
The Lord Jeffs return to action Friday, Oct. 19 for the New England Championships.
1. Menezes/Berckes (A) def. Gibson/Bajon 8-6
2. Brown/Wexler (A) def. Rottkamp/Reich 8-6
3. Stein/Murphy (A) def. Machese/Schneidman 8-5
1. Gibson (W) def. Menezes 5-7, 7-6 (6-4), 6-2
2. Baljon (W) def. L. King 6-1, 6-3
3. Marchese (W) def. Berckes 6-2, 6-3
4. Brown (A) def. Parsons 6-3, 7-6 (7-2)
5. Reich (W) def. Snyder 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
6. C. King (A) def. Rottkamp 6-2, 6-2
7. Schneidman (W) def. Murphy 6-3, 7-5
8. Wilinsky (A) def. Loomis 6-3, 6-2
9. Wexler (A) def. Ferrara 6-3, 6-4
10. Bell (A) def. Friedman 6-2, 6-1
11. Stein (A) def. Kelley 6-3, 6-0