May 7, 2006
AMHERST, MA – The eighth-ranked Amherst College women's tennis team earned its ninth straight trip to the NCAA Quarterfinals with a 5-1 Regional Final win over Bowdoin College on Sunday afternoon. The Jeffs will travel to finals host University of California at Santa Cruz and begin competition on May 17. Amherst has advanced to the NCAA Semifinals in seven of the last eight years, to the national finals in 2004 and won the school's first ever team national title in 1999.
Amherst started out strong on Sunday, winning two of three doubles matches and going on to easily win three singles points before the match was called. Senior tri-captain Hadley Miller (N. Canton, OH), junior Katie Hudson (Los Altos, CA) and sophomore Jennifer Murphy (Simsbury, CT) each won their singles matchups, while senior tri-captain Kristen Raverta (W. Springfield, MA) and sophomores Alicia Menezes (Staten Island, NY) and Monica Snyder (Newton, MA) had imposing leads over their Polar Bear opponents at the match's end.
Seedings for the quarterfinal round will be announced tomorrow (Monday) afternoon.
Amherst 5 – Bowdoin 1
1. Kristen Raverta (A) ldg. Sarah D'Elia (6-1, 4-4, DNF)
2. Alicia Menezes (A) ldg. Kristen Raymond (7-6, 8-6, DNF)
3. Monica Snyder (A) ldg. Kelsey Hughes (6-4, 3-2, DNF)
4. Jennifer Murphy (A) def. Christine D'Elia (6-1, 6-2)
5. Hadley Miller (A) def. Rachel Waldman (6-1, 6-1)
6. Katie Hudson (A) def. Kristina Sisk (6-0, 6-2)
1. Raverta/Menezes (A) def. S. D'Elia/Hughes (8-3)
2. Raymond/C. D'Elia (B) def. Snyder/Murphy (8-5)
3. Miller/Laura Stein (A) def. Sisk/Waldman (8-3)