April 11, 2006
AMHERST, MA – The third-ranked Amherst College women's tennis team trounced 27th-ranked visiting Tufts University on Tuesday afternoon, 8-1. The Jeffs improved to 8-2 with the win, while Tufts fell to 6-6 on the year.
The Jeffs swept doubles competition as Senior Kristen Raverta (W. Springfield, MA) teamed with sophomore Alicia Menezes (Staten Island, NY) for an 8-1 win at No. 1 over Tufts's Kylyn Deary and Jennifer Luten, while Jeff sophomore Monica Snyder (Newton, MA) paired with sophomore Jennifer Murphy (Simsbury, CT) for a matching 8-1 victory at No. 2 doubles over Jessica Knez and Stephanie Ruley. Senior Hadley Miller (N. Canton, OH) and rookie Anuja Ankola (Scarsdale, NY) wrapped up the sweep, topping Becky Bram and Mari Homma in the No. 3 match, 8-4.
Raverta, Menezes, Murphy and Miller posted straight set victories in the No. 1, 2, 4 and 5 singles matches, respectively, while Snyder needed a third set to put away Ruley in the No. 3 bout. Silvia Schmid took the lone victory for the Jumbos, defeating Ankola in three sets at No. 6 singles.
Amherst returns to action Saturday at 1 p.m. at 12th-ranked Wellesley College.
Amherst 8 – Tufts 1
1. Kristen Raverta (Amh.) def. Jennifer Luten (7-6 (2), 6-4)
2. Alicia Menezes (Amh.) def. Becky Bram (6-4, 6-4)
3. Monica Snyder (Amh.) def. Stephanie Ruley (4-6, 6-4, 6-2)
4. Jennifer Murphy (Amh.) def. Jessica Knez (6-0, 6-2)
5. Hadley Miller (Amh.) def. Kylyn Deary (6-4, 6-4)
6. Silvia Schmid (Tuf.) def. Anuja Ankola (6-1, 5-7, 10-6)
1. Raverta/Menezes (Amh.) def. Deary/Luten (8-1)
2. Snyder/Murphy (Amh.) def. Knez/Ruley (8-1)
3. Miller/Ankola (Amh.) def. Bram/Mari Homma (8-4)