May 6, 2006
AMHERST, MA – The Bowdoin College women's tennis team earned a hard-fought 5-4 NCAA Tournament First-Round victory over Tufts University at Amherst College on Saturday afternoon. The Polar Bears advance to face the regional-host Jeffs tomorrow (Sunday) at 1:30 p.m.
The two squads split the singles competition as Tufts' Jennifer Luten (Clayton, MO), Becky Bram (Winchester, MA) and Andrea Cenko (St. Louis, MO) won at No. 1, 2 and 6, while Bowdoin's Kelsey Hughes (Shelburne, VT), Christine D'Elia (Fairfield, CT) and Rachel Waldman (Pittsford, NY) took home the No. 3, 4 and 5 bouts. The Polar Bears earned the victory in doubles play as D'Elia and Kristen Raymond (Dover, MA) posted an 8-1 victory at No. 2 and Waldman paired with Kristina Sisk for an 8-2 win at No. 3. Luten and Bram did all they could for the Jumbos as they teamed for an 8-2 victory at No. 1 doubles.
The Jeffs and Polar Bears have met twice this year, seeing Amherst take an 8-1 win back on Oct. 2, and post a matching result last Saturday (Apr. 29).
Bowdoin 5 - Tufts 4
1. Jennifer Luten (Tuf.) def. Sarah D'Elia (6-3, 6-1)
2. Becky Bram (Tuf.) def. Kristen Raymond (6-4, 6-3)
3. Kelsey Hughes (Bow.) def. Stephanie Ruley (6-1, 6-1)
4. Christine D'Elia (Bow.) def. Kylyn Deary (6-0, 6-7 (5-7), 6-2)
5. Rachel Waldman (Bow.) def. Silvia Schmid (7-5, 6-0)
6. Andrea Cenko (Tuf.) def. Kristina Sisk (6-1, 6-1)
1. Luten/Bram (Tuf.) def. S. D'Elia/Hughes (8-2)
2. Raymond/C. D'Elia (Bow.) def. Ruley/Deary (8-1)
3. Sisk/Waldman (Bow.) def. Cenko/Mari Homma (8-2)