FROM A WILLIAMS COLLEGE RELEASE
April 30, 2006
WILLIAMSTOWN, MA – The third-ranked and top-seeded Amherst College women's tennis team successfully defended its conference title on Sunday afternoon, defeating second-seeded tournament host Williams College, 6-3, in the NESCAC Tournament Championship match. The Jeffs improve to 11-3 and await seeding and opponent information for first round play in the NCAA Championship Tournament, which commences next Saturday, May 6th.
Amherst started slowly, dropping two of the three doubles matches, but got on the board when senior co-captain Kristen Raverta (W. Springfield, MA) teamed with sophomore Alicia Menezes (Staten Island, NY) to pick up the win at the No. 1 position, 8-4.
The Jeffs carried that momentum into singles play, as Menezes and Raverta earned hard-fought 6-4, 6-4 and 4-6, 6-2, 7-5 victories, respectively, while sophomore Monica Snyder (Newton, MA) cruised to a 6-3, 6-4 win. Senior tri-captain Hadley Miller (N. Eaton, OH) and junior Katie Hudson (Los Altos, CA) picked up straight-set victories at Nos. 5 and 6, respectively, to give the Jeffs five of the six singles matches on the day and the convincing win.
Amherst 6 –Williams 3
1. Kristen Raverta (Amh.) def. Alex Maclennan (4-6, 6-2, 7-5)
2. Alicia Menezes (Amh.) def. Courtney Bartlett (6-4, 6-4)
3. Monica Snyder (Amh.) def. Cary Gibson (6-3, 6-4)
4. Annie Hancock (Wil.) def. Jen Murphy (6-1, 6-2)
5. Hadley Miller (Amh.) def. Allie Rottkamp (6-2, 7-5)
6. Katie Hudson (Amh.) def. Annie Schneidman (7-5, 6-4)
1. Raverta/Menezes (Amh.) def. Gibson and Schneidman (8-4)
2. Maclennan/Rottkamp def. Snyder/Murphy (Amh.) (8-6)
3. Bartlett/Hancock def. Miller/Laura Stein (Amh.) (8-2)