April 22, 2006
AMHERST, MA – The third-ranked Amherst College women's tennis suffered a narrow 5-4 loss at the hands of visiting eighth-ranked archrival Williams College on Saturday afternoon. The Jeffs fell to 9-3, while Williams improved to 11-5.
The two squads split the singles matches as senior tri-captains Kristen Raverta (W. Springfield, MA) and Hadley Miller (N. Canton, OH) and sophomore Monica Snyder (Newton, MA) notched straight set victories for Amherst in the No. 1, 3 and 5 bouts, while Williams senior Courtney Bartlett (Marietta, GA), sophomore Anne Scheidman (Sherborn, MA) and first-year Annie Hancock (Syracuse, NY) took home the 2, 4 and 6 tilts.
The Ephs secured the win in the doubles matches as senior Alex Maclennan (Exeter, CA) paired with sophomore Allison Rottkamp (Cold Spring Harbor, NY) to win the No. 2 match, 8-3, and Barlett and Hancock teamed for an 8-6 victory at No. 3. Raverta and sophomore Alicia Menezes (Staten Island, NY) won the No. 1 doubles matchup for the Jeffs.
Amherst returns to action next weekend at the NESCAC Championship Tournament, hosted by Williams.
Williams 5 - Amherst 4
1. Kristen Raverta (Amh.) def. Alex Maclennan (6-0, 6-1)
2. Courtney Barlett (Wil.) def. Alicia Menezes (6-3, 7-5)
3. Monica Snyder (Amh.) def. Cary Gipson (6-3, 6-1)
4. Annie Hancock (Wil.) def. Jen Murphy (6-1, 6-1)
5. Hadley Miller (Amh.) def. Allie Rottkamp (6-1, 6-1)
6. Anne Schneidman (Wil.) def. Katie Hudson (6-0, 6-3)
1. Raverta/Menezes (Amh.) def. Gipson/Schneidman (8-6)
2. Maclennan/Rottkamp (Wil.) def. Murphy/Snyder (8-3)
3. Bartlett/Hancock (Wil.) def. Miller/Laura Stein (8-6)