March 25, 2006
LEXINGTON, VA – The third-ranked Amherst College women's tennis team finished up play at the 2006 Fab Five Tournament, hosted by Washington & Lee University in Lexington, Va., crushing No. 12 Carnegie Mellon University on Friday, 8-1, before suffering a 5-3 upset loss to fourth-ranked Gustavus Adolphus College on Saturday.
The Jeffs made short work of Carnegie Mellon (9-3), winning four of the six singles matches in straight sets and two of the three doubles match. Sophomore Alicia Menezes (Staten Island, NY) and sophomore Jennifer Murphy (Simsbury, CT) needed three sets to secure victory, topping Mona Iyer and Alison Liu at No. 2 and 4, respectively. The Tartans only victory came at No. 3 doubles.
The Gusties got the better of Amherst on Saturday, taking No. 2, 4 and 5 singles and both No. 1 and 2 double to earn the win. Amherst senior Kristen Raverta (W. Springfield, MA) picked up an 8-4 win at No. 1 singles and sophomore Monica Snyder grabbed a victory at No. 3 singles, topping Jamie Gaard, 8-2. Senior tri-captain Hadley Miller (N. Canton, OH) and sophomore Laura Stein (Rockport, ME) earned the other Amherst point, securing an 8-4 win at No. 3 doubles.
The Jeffs (5-2) return to action Friday at 3:30 p.m. at Connecticut College.
2006 Fab Five Tournament - Washington & Lee University - Lexington, VA
March 24, 2006 * Amherst 8 – Carnegie Mellon 1
1. Kristen Raverta (AC) d. Amy Staloch (CMU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Alicia Menezes (AC) d. Mona Iyer (CMU) 6-0, 0-6, 6-2
3. Monica Snyder (AC) d. Sheena David (CMU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Jen Murphy (AC) d. Alison Liu (CMU) 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
5. Hadley Miller (AC) d. Kelly Nakamura (CMU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Laura Stein (AC) d. Samantha Schultz (CMU) 6-1, 6-0
1. Raverta/Menezes (AC) d. Staloch/Iyer (CMU) 8-5
2. Snyder/Murphy (AC) d. Schultz/David (CMU) 8-4
3. Nakamura/Liu (CMU) d. Miller/Stein (AC) 8-4
March 25, 2006 * Gustavus Adolphus 5 – Amherst 3
1. Kristen Raverta (AC) d. Lauren Hom (GA) 8-4
2. Tara Houlihan (GA) d. Alicia Menezes (AC) 9-8 (7-5)
3. Monica Snyder (AC) d. Jaime Gaard (GA) 8-2
4. Lyndsey Palen (GA) d. Jen Murphy (AC) 8-6
5. Marla Menne (GA) d. Hadley Miller (AC) 8-4
6. Laura Stein (AC) leading Jenni White (GA) 4-3*
1. Houlihan/Palen (GA) d. Raverta/Menezes (AC) 8-4
2. Menne/Hom (GA) d. Snyder/Murphy (AC) 8-0
3. Miller/Stein (AC) d. Gaard/White (GA) 8-4
* - The No. 6 singles match wasn't completed because Gustavus Adolphus had already earned its fifth point to win the match.