April 13, 2004
AMHERST, MA - The Amherst College women's tennis team won its second consecutive match on Tuesday, defeating visiting Tufts University, which finished the fall season ranked No. 3 in the nation, 7-2. Amherst juniors Tristan Hedrick (Walnut Creek, CA) and Rachel Holt (New York, NY) and first-year Katie Hudson (Los Altos, CA) each earned singles wins, and Hedrick and Holt teamed for their second straight doubles win as well as the Jeffs improved to 12-3.
Hedrick and Holt dominated in singles play, winning their respective matches 6-1, 6-2, and 6-0, 6-1, while Hudson won in similar fashion, 6-3, 6-1. Amherst senior captain Wallis Molchen (Wilmington, DE) and sophomore Hadley Miller (Lancaster, PA) picked up singles victories as well. Miller defeated Tufts senior Barclay Gang (Miami, FL) in straight sets, 6-4, 7-6, while Molchen needed three sets to defeat sophomore Lisa Miller (Cherry Hill Village, CO), 3-6, 6-4, 10-7. Hadley Miller also teamed with junior Erin Murphy (Yonkers, NY) to upend Lisa Miller and fellow sophomore Rebecca Bram (Winchester, MA), 8-6.
The Jeffs return to action this Friday, Saturday and Sunday as they host the NESCAC Championship Tournament.
Tuesday, April 13, 2004 @ Amherst College - Amherst, MA
AMHERST 7 - TUFTS 2
1. Tristan Hedrick (Amh.) def. Jennifer Luten (6-1, 6-2)
2. Jennifer Lejb (T) def. Kristen Raverta (6-4, 6-3)
3. Rachel Holt (Amh.) def. Rebecca Bram (6-0, 6-1)
4. Hadley Miller (Amh.) def. Barclay Gang (6-4, 7-6)
5. Wallis Molchen (Amh.) def. Lisa Miller (3-6, 6-4, 10-7)
6. Katie Hudson (Amh.) def. Kylyn Deary (6-3, 6-1)
1. Holt/Hedrick (Amh.) def. Luten/Lejb (8-4)
2. Neda Pisheva /Gang (T) def. Raverta/Molchen (8-3)
3. Erin Murphy/ Hadley Miller (Amh.) def. Bram/Lisa Miller (8-6)
Jeffs Win Second Straight, Down Tufts, 7-2
April 13, 2004