May 2, 2004
S. HADLEY, MA - The Amherst College women's tennis team advanced to the NCAA Quarterfinals for the seventh consecutive year with a 6-3 win over visiting Middlebury College on Sunday. The NCAA second-round match was originally scheduled for Amherst College but moved indoors at nearby Mount Holyoke College due to inclement weather.
The Jeffs and Panthers split the afternoon's six singles matches but Amherst secured the victory with a trio of doubles wins. Sophomores Kristen Raverta (W. Springfield, MA) and Hadley Miller (Lancaster, PA) each scored singles and doubles victories for the Jeffs.
Amherst upped its record to 15-3 with its fifth straight match win, while Middlebury ends its season at 16-4.
NCAA Tournament play will resume at Rhodes College in Memphis, Tenn., May 12-17.
Saturday, May 2, 2004 @ Mt. Holyoke College - S. Hadley, MA
AMHERST 6 - MIDDLEBURY 3
1) Jackie Ross (M) def. Tristan Hedrick (6-4, 6-3)
2) Kristen Raverta (A) def. Amy Roche (6-4, 6-2)
3) Sandy Spring (M) def. Rachel Holt (6-3, 6-3)
4) Hadley Miller (A) def. Claire Smyser (3-6, 6-3, 7-5)
5) Lauren Ready (M) def. Wallis Molchen (5-7, 7-5, ret. )
6) Katie Hudson (A) def. Kristin Baker (6-2, 6-4)
1) Holt/Hedrick (A) def. Ross/Spring (8-5)
2) Raverta/Molchen (A) def. Jena Siegel/Roche (8-5)
3) Miller/Erin Murphy (A) def. Smyser/Baker (8-1)