May 4, 2003
AMHERST, MA - The fourth-ranked and top-seeded Amherst College women's tennis team advanced to the NCAA "Elite Eight" after blanking visiting 18th-ranked and third-seeded Vassar College, 9-0, in the NCAA Tournament Northeast Regional on Sunday afternoon. With the victory, the Jeffs improve to 14-3 overall while the Brewers season comes to an end at 21-4.
In singles play, Amherst won five of the six matches in straight sets. NESCAC Rookie of the Year Kristen Raverta (W. Springfield, MA) rallied to defeat Vassar senior Alexis Neider (Shelton, CT) in the opening singles match.
Amherst returns to action for their sixth consecutive trip to the NCAA Quarterfinals against Williams College at the University of Redlands, at a time to be determined.
Amherst College 9 - Vassar College 0
1) Kristen Raverta (A) def. Alexis Neider - 5-7, 6-3, 6-2
2) Rachel Holt (A) def. Becky Weldon - 6-0, 7-6 (2)
3) Tristan Hedrick (A) def. Jessica Shofler - 6-1, 6-2
4) Hadley Miller (A) def. Kathryn Robinette - 6-2, 6-2
5) Roopali Agarwal (A) def. Sarah Tighe - 6-2, 6-2
6) Wallis Molchen (A) def. Amber Gaskins - 6-0, 6-2
1) Holt/Hedrick (A) def. Neider/Shofler - 8-4
2) Agarwal/Miller (A) def. Weldon/Tighe - 8-2
3) Molchen/Murphy (A) def. Robinette/Robin Chu - 8-1
Fourth-Ranked Jeffs Advance to NCAA Quarterfinals After Blanking 18th-Ranked Vassar, 9-0
May 4, 2003