April 26, 2003
WILLIAMSTOWN, MA - After finishing second to the Ephs at last weekend's NESCAC Championship Tournament, the fourth-ranked Amherst College women's tennis team gained sweet revenge with a 5-4 win over seventh-ranked Williams College Saturday afternoon in Williamstown. The victory was Amherst's second over Williams this year. The Jeffs also upended the two-time defending national champion Ephs during the fall season, 6-3.
Amherst used singles wins by sophomores Rachel Holt (New York, NY) and Tristan Hedrick (Walnut Creek, CA) and senior co-captain Roopali Agarwal (Boxford, MA) to help turn the tide. Agarwal also teamed with rookie Hadley Miller (Lancaster, PA) for an 8-4 doubles win over Williams' Brittany Binet and Alex Maclennan, while Amherst sophomore Erin Murphy (Yonkers, NY) and junior Wallis Molchen (Wilmington, DE) posted a decisive 8-2 doubles win over Stephanie Hall and Tina Howe.
Now 12-3 overall, Amherst returns to action Sunday at noon against visiting Wellesley College.
Amherst College 5 - Williams College 4
1) Stephanie Hall (W) def. Kristen Raverta - 6-3, 7-6 (4)
2) Rachel Holt (A) def. Julie Mallory - 6-2, 6-0
3) Tristan Hedrick (A) def. Alex Maclennan - 6-0, 6-3
4) Tracy Cheung (W) def. Hadley Miller (A) - 6-2, 6-0
5) Roopali Agarwal (A) def. Tina Howe - 6-4, 6-3
6) Brittany Binet (W) def. Wallis Molchen - 6-4, 3-6 (10-3)
1) Mallory/Cheung (W) def. Holt/Hedrick - 8-3
2) Miller/Agarwal (A) def. Binet/Maclennan - 8-4
3) Erin Murphy/Molchen (A) def. Hall/Howe - 8-2
Jeffs Gain Revenge, Down Archrival Williams, 5-4
April 26, 2003