March 20, 2003
FULLERTON, CA - The doubles point proved to be crucial as the Division I Cal State Fullerton women's tennis team eked out a 4-3 victory over visiting Amherst on Wednesday afternoon. The Jeffs and Titans split six singles matches, but Cal Fullerton took two out of three in doubles play to seal the win.
Sophomores Tristan Hedrick (Walnut Creek, CA), Erin Murphy (Yonkers, NY) and junior Wallis Molchen (Wilmington, DE) each posted singles wins for Amherst, which fell to 8-3 with the loss. The Titans snapped a three-match losing streak to improve to 4-10. Molchen and Murphy paired for the Jeffs' lone doubles win.
Amherst wraps up its California swing Saturday at 10 a.m. at ninth-ranked Claremont-Mudd-Scripps.
Cal State Fullerton 4 - Amherst College 3
1. Ruya Inalpulat (CSF) def. Rachel Holt (6-3, 7-6)
2. Tristan Hedrick (AC) def. Adriana Hockicko (6-0, 7-6)
3. Erin Murphy (AC) def. Brittany Minna (6-4, 6-3)
4. Ioana Sisoe (CSF) def. Hadley Miller (3-6, 6-0, 6-2)
5. Wallis Molchen (AC) def. Jessica Martin (6-3, 6-2)
6. Caroline Freeman (CSF) def. Roopali Agarwal (6-0, 7-6)
DOUBLES RESULTS (Must win two out of three for one point against Div. I opponents)
1. Inalpulat/Sisoe (CSF) def. Hedrick/Holt (8-5)
2. Hockicko/Minna (CSF) def. Agarwal/Miller (8-3)
3. Molchen/Murphy (AC) def. Freeman/Martin (8-2)
Doubles Point Critical in Seventh-Ranked Jeffs' 4-3 Loss at Div. I Cal State Fullerton
March 20, 2003