May 13, 2001
AMHERST, MA - The top-ranked Amherst College women's tennis team swept the doubles and went on to claim four singles matches en route to a 7-2 win over visiting Wesleyan University in the Second Round of the Division III NCAA Championships on Sunday. With the win, Amherst advances to the NCAA Quarterfinals on Friday, May 18, at Trinity University in San Antonio, Texas.
Defending national singles champion Jamie Cohen (Rye, NY) led the way for Amherst with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Wesleyan sophomore Nina Zeitlin (Scarsdale, NY). She also teamed with junior Vass Kozoulina (New York, NY) for an 8-4 doubles victory over Zeitlin and Wesleyan senior Rachel Sigman (Winnetka, IL).
Juniors Stephanie Fong (Los Altos, CA), Heather Cole (Baltimore, MD) and Kozoulina also posted singles and doubles wins for Amherst. Wesleyan's two singles wins came from junior Tarsah Dale (The Dalles, OR) and freshman Dina Guth (Lexington, MA).
Amherst-which improved to 15-2 with the win-entered the NCAA Tournament as the top-ranked team in the nation according to the latest WingspanBank.com Collegiate Tennis Rankings, based on results through April 2. 10th year head coach Jackie Bagwell has led the Jeffs to three consecutive NCAA Final Four appearances and produced back-to-back national singles championships in Cohen and Neely Steinberg, who graduated in 1999.
Meanwhile, Wesleyan closed the book on its finest season in school history with a 15-4 final record, eclipsing the 13-3 mark for wins in a season set by the 1998-98 Cardinal Team.
Sunday, May 13, 2001 - NCAA Division III Women's Tennis Northeast Regional @ Amherst College
Amherst College 7 - Wesleyan University 2
1) Jamie Cohen (Amh.) def. Nina Zeitlin (Wes.) 6-1, 6-2
2) Stephanie Fong (Amh.) def. Allison Rovner (Wes.) 6-4, 6-2
3) Tarsah Dale (Wes.) def. Susanna Burke (Amh.) 6-4, 6-4
4) Heather Cole (Amh.) def. Dina Guth (Wes.) 7-5, 6-0
5) Rachel Sigman (Wes.) def. Carolyn Pastel (Amh.) 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
6) Vass Kozoulina (Amh.) def. Nicky Sumorok (Wes.) 6-1, 6-2
1) Cohen/Kozoulina (Amh.) def. Zeitlin/Sigman (Wes.) 8-4
2) Cole/Fong (Amh.) def. Dale/Guth (Wes.) 8-2
3) Burke/Pastel (Amh.) def. Rovner/Sarah Seidman (Wes.) 8-0
Amherst Outguns Wesleyan 7-2 in NCAA Second Round
May 13, 2001