WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. – Lindsey Ruderman '21 set two school records in the diving events as the Amherst women's swimming and diving team recorded their first loss on the season, falling to Williams College by a 184-110 margin in their first meet of 2019 on Saturday afternoon.
Ruderman set a new school record on the 1-meter board as she marked a score of 303.91. She backed up that accomplishment with another record, posting an impressive 334.50 in the 3-meter diving event.
The Mammoths setback moves them to 3-1 on the season, while the Ephs advance to 6-0 in dual-meet action. The Purple & White return to Pratt Pool in their next meet when they face off against Connecticut College on January 19th. Williams is scheduled to take on the Camels for their next matchup as well when they travel to New London, Conn. on January 12th.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the first event of 2019, the team of Natalie Rumpelt '20, Nina Fitzgerald '21, Marie Fagan '22 and Ingrid Shu '20 snatched a final time of 148.32 to place second in the 200 yard medley relay.
- After a fifth place finish in the 1000 yard freestyle from Julia Ruggiero '21, Rumpelt was able to notch a third place finish in the 200 yard freestyle with a time of 155.69.
- Bridgitte Kwong '19 (59.55) and Fitzgerald (1:05.33) grabbed second place finishes in the 100 yard backstroke and 100 yard breaststroke respectively.
- Shu was able to grab the first win on the day for the Mammoths, placing first in the 50 yard freestyle with a time of 24.37 seconds, beating out Ephs swimmer Dana Chung by 0.44 seconds.
- Lindsey Ruderman '21 continued her strong 2018-19 season performance by recording another first place finish in the one meter diving with a score of 303.91. Ruderman also notched a score of 334.50 in the three meter diving, both school records.
- Rumpelt was able to break through in the 100 yard freestyle, winning with a time of 52.61 seconds.
- Fitzgerald (2:24.87) and Heather Grotzinger '20 (2:29.20) placed second and third in the 200 yard breaststroke.
- In the 200 yard IM, Kwong finished second with a time of 2:09.94.
- In the final event of the day, Livia Domenig '19, Dorit Song '19, Shu and Rumpelt were able to secure a lasting victory for the Purple & White with a time of 3:34.81 in the 400 yard freestyle relay.