MIDDLEBURY, Vt. – The Amherst women's swimming and diving team continued their unbowed 2018-19 season as they took down Middlebury College by a score of 227-73 on Saturday afternoon.
The Mammoths move to 3-0 on the season while the Panthers lose their third straight meet, falling to 0-3. Williams College will be the next opponent for the Purple & White when they travel to Williamstown for their first competition in the New Year. Middlebury have their sights set on Springfield College when they take on the Pride at 1:00 PM on December 8th.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Ingrid Shu '20, Nina Fitzgerald '21, Marie Fagan '22 and Natalie Rumpelt '20 opened the first event with a win for the Mammoths as they received a time of 1:50.07 in the 200 yard medley relay.
- Julia Ruggiero '21 and Caroline Needell '22 took the second and third spots in the 1,000 yard freestyle, losing to Middlebury's Angela Riggins by a narrow margin.
- Amherst swept the top three spots in the 200 yard freestyle, led by Livia Domenig '19 who secured a time of 1:56.36.
- Bridgitte Kwong '19 was able to beat the one minute mark in the 100 yard backstroke, taking first place with a time of 59.35.
- Fitzgerald won the 100 yard breaststroke with a time of 1:08.41 while Molly Pines '19 followed close behind with a 1:09.80 mark, finishing second.
- Sophia Harrison '22, Meredith King '21 and Isabella Weiner '20 led the pack in the 200 yard butterfly. Harrison marked the top score with 2:14.24 while King and Weiner were less than a half-second behind.
- Shu received her first individual win on the day in the 50 yard freestyle with a time of 24.69.
- In the one-meter diving, the Mammoths landed in the top-three spots yet again with Lindsey Ruderman '21 leading the way, finishing with a score 280.43. Ruderman backed up her performance by also placing first in the three meter diving in the 27th event.
- Rumpelt took first in the 100 yard freestyle, notching a time of 53.16 with Dorit Song '19 finishing two seconds behind her with a 55.51 mark.
- Kwong secured the win in the 200 yard backstroke (2:04.49) while also grabbing first in the 200 yard IM (2:08.96) by a comfortable margin
- Domenig and Needell led the Mammoths in the 500 yard freestyle, marking times of 5:15.08 and 5:20.13 respectively.
- Fagan clipped Middlebury's Maddie McKean by three seconds in the 100 yard butterfly, winning with a time of 58.83.
- In the final meet of the day (400 yard freestyle relay), the Mammoths secured first place with a time of 3:38.67 through the efforts of Domenig, Fagan, Shu and Rumpelt.