NDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – Totaling 158 points across the four-day meet, the Amherst College women's swimming & diving team closed out the 2018 NCAA Division III Swimming & Diving Championships at the IU Natatorium in eighth overall after posting three top-8 finishes on the final day of action.
DAY FOUR RUNDOWN
- AMHERST: 8th Overall - 158 points
- TOP-THREE: Emory (603), Kenyon (500), Williams (412)
- EVENTS: 100 Free, 200 Back, 200 Breaststroke, 3-Meter Diving, 1650 Free, 400 Free Relay
- Competing in the 100 yard freestyle, Natalie Rumpelt '20 notched a 36th place finish with a time of 52.56 seconds.
- Stephanie Moriarty '18 and Bridgitte Kwong '19 both had strong performances in the 200 yard backstroke prelims, with Moriarty clocking a 2:01.24 mark to earn seventh overall and a spot in the finals and Kwong swimming to a time of 2:02.05 to place ninth and advance to the consolation finals.
- Taking to the blocks in the 200 yard breaststroke, Nina Fitzgerald '20 cut two seconds off her seed mark to place eighth (2:18.09) in the prelims and move on to the finals, while Heather Grotzinger '20 logged a 31st place finish (2:24.00).
- In the 400 yard freestyle relay prelims, the quartet of Geralyn Lam '18, Moriarty, Livia Domenig '19 and Rumpelt combined to record a 3:27.81 mark and take 13th overall.
- With 469.70 points in the 3-meter diving preliminaries, Lindsey Ruderman '21 finished sixth overall in the 28-competitor event to clinch a spot in the afternoon finals.
- Clinching All-America honors in the 200 backstroke, Moriarty touched the wall in 2:01.32 to place seventh overall, while Kwong added seven points to the board with a 10th place finish (2:01.69).
- Recording a stellar sixth place finish, Fitzgerald swam to a 2:17.08 mark in the 200 yard breaststroke finals.
- Ruderman capped off her sensational rookie campaign with a 5th place finish on the 3-meter board, recording 480.15 points.
- The 400 freestyle relay team of Moriarty (52.38), Rumpelt (51.49), Domenig (51.63) and Lam (51.39) finished off the 2018 national meet strong for the Mammoths, posting a 10th place finish with a time of 3:26.89.
|100 Free||Natalie Rumpelt '20||No. 35 - 52.03||36th - 52.56|
|200 Back||Bridgitte Kwong '19||No. 12 - 2:02.08||10th - 2:01.69|
|200 Back||Stephanie Moriarty '18||No. 16 - 2:02.26||7th - 2:01.32|
|200 Breaststroke||Heather Grotzinger '20||No. 38 - 2:24.23||31st - 2:24.00|
|200 Breaststroke||Nina Fitzgerald '20||No. 17 - 2:20.17||6th - 2:17.08|
|3-Meter Diving||Lindsey Ruderman '21||--||5th - 480.15|
|400 Free Relay||--||No. 13 - 3:28.69||10th - 3:26.89|