Indianapolis, Ind. – The Mammoths equaled or exceeded their seed times in all three events qualified for on day one of competition, as the No. 15 Amherst College women's swimming & diving team wrapped Wednesday action at the 2018 NCAA Division III Championships at IU Natatorium with 12 points to sit in 13th place.
DAY ONE RUNDOWN
- TOP-THREE: Emory (146), Kenyon (118), Williams (114)
- EVENTS: 500 Free, 200 IM, 50 Free, 200 Medley Relay
HOW IT HAPPENED
- An optional entry in the 500 freestyle, Natalie Rumpelt '20 outswam her 30th seed mark of 5:02.33 to finish in 5:01.70 and place 20th overall in the 37-swimmer race.
- Shaving tenths of a second off her seed mark, Bridgitte Kwong '19 clinched 19th place in the 200 yard IM with a time of 2:05.78.
- The 22nd seed (1:45.04) and optional entry, the 200 yard medley relay quartet of Stephanie Moriarty '18, Nina Fitzgerald '21, Ingrid Shu '20 and Geralyn Lam'18 combined to touch the wall in 1:45.06 to earn 16th in the preliminaries and qualify for the consolation finals in the 32-team event.
- Taking to the blocks in the 200 medley relay consolation finals, the Mammoths posted a stellar 1:44.18 mark to finish 11th overall and add 12 points to the board.