AMHERST, Mass. – The Mammoths smashed two pool records, earning new Pratt Pool-best times in the 400 yard medley relay and 400 yard IM as the No. 10 Amherst College women's swimming and diving team downed Springfield, 179-109 on Sunday afternoon on Senior Day.
With the victory, Amherst improves to 7-1 in dual meet competition. Amherst returns to the pool on Friday-Sunday, Feb. 16-18 when they travel to Williams for the NESCAC Championships.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Stephanie Moriarty '18, Nina Fitzgerald '21, Geralyn Lam '18 and Natalie Rumpelt '20 led the pack in the 400 yard medley relay to add 11 points to the board with a pool record time of 3:53.90. The mark breaks a 13-year record of 3:57.75 that was set in 2005.
- In the 400 yard IM, Bridgitte Kwong '19 and Heather Grotzinger '20 finished back-to-back to take the top-two spots, with Kwong earning gold with a pool record time of 4:32.16 and Grotzinger clocking a 4:32.16 mark. Kwong broke Emily Hyde's '16 previous 2013 record of 4:35.10.
- Livia Domenig '19 placed first overall in the 200 yard free with a time of 1:55.17, while Moriarty (27.43), Tracy Chen '20 (28.85) and Ingrid Wefing '21 (29.26) swept the 50 yard backstroke.
- With a 30.63 mark, Katie Smith '19 clinched first in the 50 yard breaststroke, before Clare Leonard '19 paced the competition in the 100 yard butterfly (1:00.28).
- Lam led an Amherst top-three sweep in the 50 yard free, touching the wall in 24.24 seconds.
- On the 1 meter board Lindsey Ruderman '21 totaled a NCAA B-cut mark of 292.87 points to place first, while Jackie Palermo '19 racked up a NCAA B-cut mark of 262.42 to earn second.
- Domenig clinched gold in the 100 yard free (53.60 seconds), while Kwong secured first overall in the 100 yard backstroke (1:00.35).
- The 100 yard breaststroke saw another Mammoth win, with Shu clocking a time of 1:06.92.
- Rumpelt claimed the final victory for Amherst, winning the 500 yard free event with a 5:09.84 mark.