AMHERST, Mass. – First-year diver Lindsey Ruderman set a new pool record in the 1-meter event, however the feat was not enough to lead the Mammoths past their archrivals as the No. 15 Amherst College women's swimming & diving team fell to No. 5 Williams, 181-117 Saturday afternoon at Pratt Pool.
With the loss, the Mammoths fall to 4-1 in dual meet action on the season. Amherst returns to the pool on Saturday, Jan. 20 when they travel to Connecticut College for a 1 p.m. meet.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The quartet of Stephanie Moriarty '18, Katie Smith '19, Ingrid Shu '20 and Geralyn Lam '18 paced the Mammoths in the 200 yard medley relay, clocking a time of 1:46.71 to place second overall.
- Jayne Vogelzang '19 and Natalie Rumpelt '20 took third in the 1000 yard freestyle (10:42.69) and 200 yard freestyle (1:54.39), respectively, while Bridgitte Kwong '19 (58.84) and Moriarty (59.04) finished back-to-back in the 100 yard backstroke to claim the top-two spots.
- In the 100 yard breaststroke, Nina Fitzgerald '21 touched the wall in 1:06.78 to add four points to the board, before Lam secured second in the 200 yard butterfly behind a 2:08.11 mark.
- Setting a new pool record, Ruderman tallied 303.30 points in the 1-meter diving event to place first and logged four more points for Amherst with a second place finish in the 3-meter dive with a NCAA B-cut total of 269.70.
- Rumpelt was the first Mammoth to finish in the 100 yard free with a 53.01 mark to earn second overall, while Kwong earned Amherst's first swimming victory of the day in the 200 yard backstroke with NCAA B-cut time of 2:03.49.
- Fitzgerald notched second in the 200 yard breaststroke (2:27.83), while Livia Domenig '19 placed third in the 500 yard freestyle (5:11.45).
- Lam swam to a second place finish in the 100 yard butterfly with a time of 57.41 seconds, before Kwong netted four points with a 2:10.12 mark in the 200 yard IM.