SCHENECTADY, N.Y. – The No. 15 Amherst College women's swimming & diving team picked up victories in 14 of 15 total events, including 11 top-three sweeps, as the Mammoths powered past Union College, 226-53 Saturday afternoon at the David Breazzano '78 Fitness Center.
With the win, Amherst improves to 4-0 in dual meet action this season. The Mammoths return to the pool on Saturday, Jan. 6 when they host archrival Williams beginning at 1 p.m.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Starting out strong on the 200 yard freestyle, the quartet of Geralyn Lam '18, Stephanie Moriarty '21, Natalie Rumpelt '19 and Ingrid Shu '19 posted a 1:38.44 mark to place first overall, while Julia Ruggiero '18 took gold in the 1650 yard free with a time of 18:18.56 to score nine points for the Mammoths.
- Bridgitte Kwong '21 touched the wall in 28.58 seconds in the 50 yard backstroke to claim first, while Nina Fitzgerald '18 led the way for Amherst in the 50 yard breaststroke with a 32.30 second mark.
- Clocking a 1:01.57 mark, Heather Grotzinger '19 earned the top spot in the 100 yard butterfly, while Livia Domenig '21 kept the Mammoths perfect in the 40 yard freestyle with a time of 25.49 to place first in the race.
- Lindsey Ruderman swept the 1-meter and 3-meter diving events, tallying 293.92 points and 285.67 points, respectively.
- In the 100 yard free, Moriarty earned her second victory of the day, notching a time of 54.33 seconds, while Tracy Chen swam to a 1:02.72 mark to finish second in the 100 yard backstroke.
- Sarah McDonald '19 posted a time of 1:11.02 in the 100 yard breaststroke to pace Amherst, before Rumpelt added a win in the 500 yard freestyle with a 5:14.48 mark.
- Lam edged out Shu by a fourth of a second in the 50 yard butterfly to log a time of 26.33 and place first, while the quartet of Domenig, Moriarty, Jwong and Rumpelt closed out the meet with a first place finish in the 800 yard freestyle relay with a time of 7:57.85.