AMHERST, Mass. – With 10 individual victories on the day, the No. 12 Amherst College women's swimming & diving team toppled No. 15 Middlebury College, 167-122 Saturday afternoon at Pratt Pool.
With the win, Amherst improves to 3-0 on the season in dual meet action. The Mammoths return to the pool on Saturday, Dec. 30, when they travel to Union College for a 1 p.m. battle.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Racing to a first place finish in the 200 yard medley relay, Stephanie Moriarty '18, Katie Smith '19, Geralyn Lam'18 and Natalie Rumpelt '20 teamed up to touch the wall in 1:47.96 and earn 11 points for the Mammoths, while the quartet of Bridgitte Kwong '19, Nina Fitzgerald '21, Tracy Chen '20 and Ingrid Shu '20 claimed third (1:50.49).
- First-year Julia Ruggiero '21 clocked a 10:47.71 mark in the 1000 yard free to notch first overall, while Marie Maxwell '18 followed shortly behind with a time of 10:56.98 to place second.
- Amherst swept the top-three spots in the 200 yard free, with Rumpelt (1:55.48), Livia Domenig '19 (1:56.23) and Sarah McDonald '20 (1:58.88) leading the competition.
- Moriarty and Kwong clocked times of 59.04 seconds and 59.72 seconds, respectively, in the 100 yard backstroke to clinch first and second, while Smith (1:02.12) and Fitzgerald (1:08.50) clinched to the top-two spots in the 100 yard breaststroke.
- Leading the way in the 200 yard butterfly, Lam earned a 2:07.73 mark, while Isabella Weiner '20 secured second behind a 2:14.77 mark.
- The Mammoths finished first and third in the 50 yard free, with Shu earning a 24.90 second mark and Zoe Pappas '19 posting a time of 25.39 seconds.
- Lindsey Ruderman '21 logged a NCAA B-Cut time in the 1-meter dive event with 288.30 points to place first, while Rumpelt added a victory in the 100 yard free with a 52.82 mark.
- Kwong (2:05.82), Moriarty (2:08.46) and Ruggiero (2:12.08) swept the 200 yard backstroke, before Heather Grotzinger '20 (2:28,07), Shu (2:29.09) and Fitzgerald (2:30.45) proved dominant in the 200 yard breaststroke.
- With a first place finish in the 500 yard free, Domenig added nine points with a time of 5:16.01, while Hanna Sanford '21 touched the wall in second with a 5:24.43 mark.