WATERVILLE, Maine – Clinching a 157-108 victory over Colby College, the Amherst College women's swimming & diving team opened the 2017-18 season in solid fashion, sweeping the top-three spots in half of the meet's 16 events.
The Mammoths return to action on Monday, Nov. 20 when they travel to Little III rival Wesleyan University for a 5 p.m. dual meet.
- Amherst took the top-three spots in the first four events of the day to get off to a strong start. In the 200 yard medley relay, Stephanie Moriarty '18, Nina Fitzgerald '21, Geralyn Lam'18 and Natalie Rumpelt '20 earning first overall and the quartet of Bridgitte Kwong '19, Ingrid Shu '20, Tracy Chen '20 and Zoe Pappas '19 taking second. Meredith King '21, Sarah McDonald '20, Heather Grotzinger '20 and Katie Smith '19 capped off the sweep, placing third overall.
- Julia Ruggiero '21, Marie Maxwell '18 and Jayne Vogelzang '19 were the three lone swimmers in the 1000 yard freestyle, with Ruggiero clocking a time of 10:50.32 to finish first and Maxwell and Vogelzang earning 11:17.65 and 11:23.51 marks, respectively.
- Rumpelt led the way in the 200 yard freestyle with a time of 1:56.70, while Livia Domenig '19 (1:57.98) and Sarah Wishloff '19 (2:06.56) finished back-to-back to take the next two spots.
- With times of 59.55, 1:00.29 and 1:03.98, respectively, Kwong, Moriarty and King were the three swimmers to the wall in the 100 yard backstroke.
- Fitzgerald (1:08.97), Smith (1:09.98), and McDonald (1:11.27) finished one through three in the 100 yard breaststroke, while Lam added a victory in the 200 yard butterfly with a 2:10.49 mark and Isabella Weiner '20 added a second place finish (2:16.67).
- The Mammoths claimed first and third in the 50 yard free, with Pappas logging a time of 25.59 to take the gold, while Shu clinched bronze with a 26.12 mark.
- Lindsey Ruderman '21 and Nina Kiley '21 both had impressive performances in the 1 meter dive event, with Ruderman clinching her first collegiate victory with 270.15 points, while Kiley placed second (207.26 points).
- McDonald, Pappas and Smith swept the 100 yard freestyle with times of 55.09, 55.12 and 56.92, respectively, while Kwong added a victory in the 200 yard breaststroke with a 2:05.10 mark.
- Hope Kim '19 was the sole Mammoth in the top-three in the 500 yard freestyle, touching the wall in second with a 5:51.32 mark.