Posted: Jan 29, 2017
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. – The No. 8 Amherst College women's swimming & diving team downed Springfield College, 157-131 Sunday afternoon at Springfield in the Purple & White's final dual meet of the season.
- RESULT: W 157-131
- LOCATION: Linkletter Natatorium, Springfield
- Amherst began Sunday's meet with a first and second place finish in the 200-yard medley relay as the Purple & White 'A' team of Stephanie Moriarty '18, Katie Smith '19, Geralyn Lam '18 and Natalie Rumpelt '20 clocked a winning time of 1:50.22. The 'B' squad of Destin Groff '17, Victoria Chao '18, Sarah Wang '20, and Dorit Song '18 finished second with a mark of 1:53.41.
- Bridgitte Kwong '19 and Jayne Vogelzang '19 took first and second in the 400-yard individual medley with respective times of 4:36.87 and 4:48.38, while Ingrid Shu '20 (2:00.09), Zoe Pappas '19 (2:00.30) and Sarah Wishloff '19 (2:00.96) placed first, second and third in the 200-yard freestyle.
- Amherst took first and second in the 50-yard backstroke with Moriarty (27.90) and Groff (29.62), while Smith and Molly Pines '19 highlighted the 50-yard breaststroke with top two times of 30.88 and 32.15 respectively.
- The 100-yard butterfly saw Wang, Tracy Chen '20 and Isabella Weiner finished second, third and fourth with respective times of 1:00.77, 1:00.98, and 1:02.70.
- In the 50-yard freestyle, Lam (24.65) and Rumpelt (25.23) notched first and second place, while Livia Domenig '19 won the 100-yard freestyle with a time of 54.88.
- Lam and Kwong touched the wall first and second in the 100-yard backstroke with times of 1:00.60 and 1:00.65, while Smith, Pines and Chao registered times of 1:09.20, 1:09.91, and 1:13.08 and finished second, third and fourth in the 100-yard breaststroke.
- Song and Hope Kim '19 garnered top two honors in the 500-yard freestyle (5:15.94 and 5:29.51).
- Jacqueline Palermo '19 won the 1-meter diving event with a score of 282.53.
- The women's swimming & diving team returns to action Friday-Sunday, Feb. 10-12 at the NESCAC Championships hosted by Bowdoin College in Brunswick, Maine.