Posted: Jan 28, 2017
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The eighth-ranked Amherst College women's swimming & diving team glided past No. 9 MIT, 171.5-128.5 Saturday afternoon in Cambridge, Mass.
- RESULT: W 171.5-128.5
- LOCATION: The Zesiger Sports and Fitness Center, MIT
- Amherst picked up 11 points in the first event of the meet as the quartet of Stephanie Moriarty '18, Katie Smith '19, Geralyn Lam '18, and Ingrid Shu '20 won the 200-yard medley relay with a time of 1:47.88.
- The Purple & White then took the first three places in the 200-yard freestyle as Natalie Rumpelt '20 finished first with a time of 1:54.80 ahead of Livia Domenig '19 (1:56.75) and Dorit Song '19 (1:57.03).
- Moriarty added a victory in the 100-yard backstroke (58.61) , while Smith and Molly Pines '19 touched second and third in the 100-yard breaststroke with respective times of 1:07.73 and 1:08.89.
- Lam won the 200-yard butterfly (2:08.22), while Shu tied for first in the 50-yard freestyle with a mark of 24.52. Shu also won the 100-yard freestyle (53.33), while Bridgitte Kwong '19 and Moriarty placed first and second in the 200-yard backstroke with times of 2:05.47 and 2:08.14.
- Rumpelt and Domenig added a one-two finish in the 500-yard freestyle with respective marks of 5:07.79 and 5:11.15, while Heather Grotzinger '20 and Pines clocked times of 2:27.20 and 2:33.05 to place second and third in the 200-yard breaststroke.
- Lam (57.68) and Tracy Chen '20 (59.44) secured first and third place honors in the 100-yard butterfly, while Kwong added a second place mark of 2:10.85 in the 200-yard individual medley.
- Jacqueline Palermo '19 won the 1-meter diving with a final score of 282.37, and finished second in the 3-meter dive with a mark of 268.27.
- The 200-yard freestyle relay team of Destin Groff '17, Rumpelt, Moriarty and Shu capped the meet with a victory in an impressive time of 1:37.38.
- Amherst returns to action on Sunday, Jan. 29 at Springfield College at 1 p.m. in its final dual meet of the season.