Posted: Jan 07, 2017
WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. – The No. 14 Amherst College women's swimming & diving team suffered its first loss of the season, 208.5 – 89.5, to Little III and NESCAC rival Williams College Saturday afternoon.
- RESULT: L 208.5-89.5
- LOCATION: Samuelson-Muir Pool, Williams College
- Despite not winning an individual event, Amherst took first place in one relay race in the loss.
- With a mark of 3:32.49, the quartet of Dorit Song '19, Ingrid Shu '20, Geralyn Lam '18, and Natalie Rumpelt '20 earned the Purple & White's only victory in the 400-yard freestyle relay.
- Rumpelt placed second in both the 100-yard and 200-yard freestyle events with times of 53.47 and 1:53.74.
- The Purple & White placed two swimmers in the top three spots in the 100-yard breaststroke, with Shu earning second (1:06.51) and Song earning third (1:09.41), respectively.
- Lam earned points in the 100-yard and 200-yard butterfly, placing third in both events with marks of 57.77 and 2:08.71.
- Marie Maxwell '18 powered to a second place finish in the 1000-yard freestyle with a time of 10:48.55.
- First-year's Shu and Heather Grotzinger finished back-to-back to take second and third, respectively, in the 200-yard breaststroke with times of 2:28.50 and 2:29.30.
- Jacqueline Palermo '19 tallied second place honors in the 1-meter and 3-meter diving events, scoring 286.95 points and 274.73 points.
- Bridgitte Kwong '19 touched second in the 200-yard backstroke (2:05.29) and third in the 200-yard IM (2:11.27), respectively.
- In the 100-yard backstroke, Stephanie Moriarty '18 touched second with a time of 59.19, and had a hand in the 200-yard medley relay with Shu, Lam, and Rumpelt for a second place finish with a mark of 1:47.53.
- Amherst (4-1) will host Connecticut College, Jan. 21 at Amherst, Mass. with a start time of 1:00 p.m.