AMHERST, Mass. – Ingrid Shu '20 and Jackie Palermo '19 each won two individual events as the No. 10 Amherst College women's swimming & diving team recorded a 172-103 season-opening victory over Colby College Saturday afternoon in Pratt Pool.
• RESULT: W 172-103
• LOCATION: Pratt Pool, Amherst, Massachusetts
- The Purple & White powered to 12 first place finishes for its first win of the 2016-17 season.
- In Shu's collegiate debut, she touched first in the 200-yard breaststroke (2:27.77) and the 100-yard breaststroke (1:07.70), while also having a hand in the 200-yard medley relay first place finish with Destin Groff '17, Geralyn Lam '18, and Zoe Pappas '19 (1:49.72).
- Stephanie Moriarty '18 glided to first place honors in the 100-yard backstroke with a mark of 59.46, while Bridgitte Kwong '19 touched second (59.86), and Groff third (1:02.60). Kwong also raced to top honors in the 200-yard backstroke with a time of 2:06.22, while Moriarity followed in second in 2:12.21.
- Junior Marie Maxwell swam to a first place finish in the 1000-yard freestyle with a time of 10:50.20.
- Sprinting to a first place finish in the 100-yard freestyle, Livia Domenig touched the wall in 55.38 for nine points, while Katie Smith '19 sprinted to a 50-yard freestyle win with a time of 25.01.
- Palermo earned the crown in the 1 meter diving (205.65) and the 3 meter diving (219.99), while Geralyn Lam '18 (200-yard butterfly, 2:10.75) and Natalie Rumpelt '20 (200-yard freestyle, 1:56.03) rounded out the Purple & White's victors in the dual meet.
- Amherst returns to action Monday, Nov. 21 at NESCAC and Little III rival Wesleyan University beginning at 5 p.m. in Middletown, Conn.