Posted: Feb 01, 2016
AMHERST, Mass. – The No. 7 Amherst College women's swimming & diving team used 16 wins, including four sweeps, to down Springfield College, 202-95, Sunday afternoon at Pratt Pool.
- RESULT: W 202 – 95 (7-1)
- LOCATION: Pratt Pool, Amherst College
- Amherst finished first and third in the 200-yard medley relay with the quartet of Stephanie Moriarty '18, Emily Hyde '16, Sarah Conklin '16, and Zoe Pappas '19 finishing in 1:47.86 and the squad of Destin Groff '17, Victoria Chao '18. Sarah Wishloff '19, and Dorit Song '19 clocking a time of 1:51.74.
- The Purple & White swept the 1,650-yard freestyle race as Charlotte Chudy '16, Marie Maxwell '18, and Jayne Vogelzang '19 claimed the top-three spots with times of 18:03.48, 18:14.42, and 18:24.65, respectively.
- Song and Pappas finished back-to-back in the 200-yard freestyle, claiming first and second with times of 1:55.38 and 1:57.84, respectively.
- With marks of 59.83 and 1:01.00, Moriarty and Lam earned first and second in the 100-yard backstroke.
- Hyde continued to impress in breaststroke events this season, finishing first with a NCAA "B" cut time of 1:04.88 in the 100-yard breaststroke. Hannah Hummel '16 claimed third in the event (1:08.35).
- Conklin raced to a first place finish in the 200-yard butterfly, touching the wall in 2:08.69.
- First-year Katie Smith and Domenig earned second in the third in the 50-yard freestyle with marks of 24.70 and 25.19, respectively.
- Jackie Palermo '19 finished first in the 1-meter diving event with a NCAA "B" cut score of 256.05 and second in the 3-meter event with a score of 222.10.
- Amherst claimed the top-four spots in the 100-yard freestyle as Domenig took first (53.75), Smith claimed second (54.38), Pappas finished third (54.57), and Hope Kim '19 earned fourth (55.73).
- In its fourth sweep of the meet, the Purple & White finished in the top-three spots in the 200-yard backstroke. Moriarty led the way with a time of 2:07.35, while Lam took second (2:11.57), and Lee Stevens '16 earned third (2:18.99).
- Hyde earned her second Pratt Pool record of the season in the 200-yard breaststroke, taking first with a NCAA "B" cut time of 2:19.82. Hummel finished right behind Hyde to earn second with a time of 2:26.28.
- Song and Wishloff finished back-to-back to take the top two spots in the 500-yard freestyle with marks of 5:11.85 and 5:222.06, respectively.
- Conklin narrowly beat out Delaney Dyjak of Springfield to claim first in the 100-yard butterfly with a time of 57.75, while Clare Leonard finished third (1:01.75).
- First-year Bridgitte Kwong took the top spot in the 400-yard IM with a NCAA "B" cut time of 4:35.88.
- Groff, Domenig, Smith and Hyde claimed first in the 200-yard freestyle relay (1:39.59), while Kim, Daniella Cruz '18, Amelia Deady '18, and Kasia Ifill '17 earned third (1:45.20).
- Springfield returns home to take on Holy Cross in dual meet action on Feb. 6 at 1 p.m.
- Amherst is set to compete at the NESCAC Championships at Middlebury College from Feb. 12-14. Each day of the Championships is scheduled to begin at 10 a.m.