BRUNSWICK, Maine - Managing just a pair of wins at the bottom of the order, the 16th-ranked Amherst women's squash team fell to No. 12 George Washington, 7-2, in Kurtz Cup (B Division) consolation play at the CSA Team Championships.
Dropping the first game of her eighth position match with Maya Nair '14, 11-4, Khushy Aggarwal '16 battled back, eventually breaking a 2-2 tie with an 11-7 triumph in the tiebreak. Fellow first-year Taryn Clary notched the Jeffs' only other victory, needing just three games to dispatch of junior Adriana Calderon, 3-0 (11-5,11-4,11-9).
Anna Porras '16 swept Chandler Lusardi '13, 3-0 (11-7,11-5,11-6), at the top of the lineup, while GW's Jackie Shea '14 and Emely Levyn '16 recorded a pair of 3-1 wins over Anne Piper '13 and Arielle Lehman '15 in the second and third spots. Rebounding from a 12-10 first game loss, Kelly Barnes '14 defeated Jeff first-year Meyha Sud, 3-1 (10-12,14-12,11-5,11-4), while Alexa Tzarnas '16 tripped up Amherst's Ericka Robertson '16 in straight sets.
With Elizabeth Tapley '14 shutting out Evelyn Kramer '14, 3-0 (11-4,11-7,11-4), in the sixth position, Corri Johnson '16 fell short against Sarah Allen '16, narrowly dropping the first game 18-16 before also losing the next two, 11-5 and 11-7.
Amherst wraps up play at the CSA team championships on Sunday, Feb. 17 against Franklin & Marshall College in the Kurtz Cup Consolation Playoff.
CSA CHAMPIONSHIPS HOMEPAGE
No. 12 George Washington 7, No. 16 Amherst 2
1. Anna Porras (G) def. Chander Lusardi (A), 3-0 (11-7,11-5,11-6)
2. Jacqueline Shea (G) def. Anne Piper (A), 3-1 (11-5,11-5,7-11,11-4)
3. Emely Levyn (G) def. Arielle Lehman (A), 3-1 (11-4,11-4,11-13,12-10)
4. Kelly Barnes (G) def. Meyha Sud (A), 3-1 (10-12,14-12,11-5,11-4)
5. Alexa Tzarnas (G) def. Ericka Robertson (A), 3-0 (11-3,11-6,11-5)
6. Elizabeth Tapley (G) def. Evelyn Kramer (A), 3-0 (11-4,11-7,11-4)
7. Sarah Allen (G) def. Corri Johnson (A), 3-0 (18-16,11-5,11-7)
8. Khushy Aggarwal (A) def. Maya Nair (G), 3-2 (4-11,11-7,10-12,11-6,11-7)
9. Taryn Clary (A) def. Adriana Calderon (G), 3-0 (11-5,11-4,11-9)