HARTFORD, Conn. – The Amherst College women's squash team advanced to the quarterfinals of the 2012 NESCAC Championship with a 9-0 win over Tufts University Friday evening at Trinity College's Kellner Squash Center.
The Lord Jeffs—seeded sixth in the tournament and ranked 16th in the nation—improved to 9-7 on the season, while the 11th-seeded Jumbos dropped to 6-9.
Amherst will return to action Saturday at 1:30 p.m. to take on third-seeded Williams, which began the weekend at number 11 in the national rankings. A complete bracket is available on the NESCAC website.
Eight of Friday's nine matches ended in a 3-0 win for Amherst. Lena Rice '14 was particularly impressive in the seventh spot, as she surrendered only one point in her first two games before closing out her night with an 11-5 result in the third frame.
The only match that required more than three games came in the top spot, where Chandler Lusardi '13 came from behind for a 3-1 win over Jessica Rubine. Lusardi dropped her first game by a score of 11-4, but she rallied to win the next three in convincing fashion (11-5, 11-2, 11-5).
Saturday's quarterfinal will be a rematch of the Jan. 28 meeting that saw Williams earn a 9-0 win over the Lord Jeffs in Little Three Championship play.
No. 6 Amherst def. No. 11 Tufts
1. Chandler Lusardi (A) def. Jessica Rubine (T), 3-1 (4-11, 11-5, 11-2, 11-5)
2. Arielle Lehman (A) def. Mercedes Barba (T), 3-0 (11-6, 11-0, 11-5)
3. Kate Savage (A) def. Paige Dahlman (T), 3-0 (11-7, 11-5, 11-8)
4. Evelyn Kramer (A) def. Ann Bellinger (T), 3-0 (11-4, 11-6, 11-4)
5. Sarah Nyirjesy (A) def. Alyse Vinoski (T), 3-0 (11-6, 11-7, 11-7)
6. Anna Scheidt (A) def. Hafsa Chaudry (T), 3-0 (11-4, 11-3, 11-3)
7. Lena Rice (A) def. Ushashi Basu (T), 3-0 (11-0, 11-1, 11-5)
8. Mary Katherine McNeill (A) def. Caitlin Doherty (T), 3-0 (11-3, 11-3, 11-8)
9. Ginny Wheeler (A) def. Desen Ozkan (T), 3-0 (11-2, 11-4, 11-7)