TOURNAMENT CENTRAL PAGE
AMHERST, Mass. – Earning an at-large bid to the 2018 NCAA Division III Championship and First Round bye, the Amherst College women's lacrosse team is set to battle the winner of SUNY Cortland and Plymouth State in Second Round action this Sunday, May 13 at 1 p.m. at Pratt Field at Lehrman Stadium.
The Red Dragons and and Panthers will take to the field at Pratt Field at Lehrman Stadium on Saturday, May 12 at 12 p.m. in First Round play to determine who will advance to take on the Mammoths. SUNY Cortland is 2-0 all-time versus Plymouth State, with victories in 1982 and 1984.
Saturday, May 12, 12 p.m. – SUNY Cortland vs. Plymouth State – Webcast / Live Stats
Sunday, May 13, 1 p.m. – Amherst vs. Saturday's Winner – Webcast / Live Stats
ROAD TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP
- The Mammoths secured an at-large bid to the national postseason and first round bye following a semifinals loss to Bowdoin, 11-9 in the perennially tough NESCAC conference.
- SUNY Cortland clinched an appearance in the NCAA Championship with a 19-5 win over Brockport in their league finals to claim the SUNYAC's automatic bid.
- Earning the Little East Conference's automatic bid to the national tournament, Plymouth State punched its ticket with a 19-8 victory against Eastern Connecticut.
SCOUTING NO. 6 AMHERST
(15-2 Overall) – Schedule / Roster / Stats
Making the program's 13th appearance in the NCAA Championship, and second in three seasons, the Mammoths enter the weekend in search of their second national title (2003).
- With 51 goals, nine assists and 60 total points, Julia Crerend '18 has been a consistent threat up front for Amherst, while Katherine Malone '20 (26G, 4A), Maia Noyes '21 (26G, 22A), Isabelle Sennett '21 (26G, 11A) and Claire Dunbar '21 (25G, 29A) have all potted 25-or-more scores this season for the Mammoths' well-rounded offensive attack.
- Noyes leads Amherst in draw controls with 61, while Sabrina Solow '19 has picked up 47 ground balls and caused 35 turnovers as a shut down defender on the backline.
- Starting all 17 contests in net for Amherst, Talia Land '20 (15-2) has registered 116 saves to boast a 7.27 goals against average and a 48.0 save percentage.
SCOUTING NO. 17 SUNY CORTLAND
(15-4 Overall) – Schedule / Roster / Stats
Winning their 20th consecutive SUNYAC tournament crown, the Red Dragons will make their 22nd overall appearance in the national postseason looking to return to the semifinals for the seventh time in eight seasons.
- Lexie Meager leads the Red Dragons potent offense in scoring, recording 56 goals and 12 assists for 68 total points. Alongside Meager, defenses will also have to keep their eyes on Carly Stone and Brie Yonge, with Stone notching 34 goals and 17 assists (51 points) and Yonge logging 33 markers and 18 helpers (51 points).
- Hailey Dobbins headlines SUNY Cortland's defense, collecting teams highs in ground balls (52), draw controls (67) and caused turnovers (35).
- In between the pipes, Annie Casey (14-4) has played all but 67:56 minutes, making 121 saves to tout a 8.53 goals against average and a 44.2 save percentage.
SCOUTING PLYMOUTH STATE
(14-3 Overall) – Schedule / Roster / Stats
Claiming the LEC title, the Panthers enter the NCAA tournament for the seventh time in program history, and for the second straight season, owning a 1-6 all-time mark in the national postseason.
- Sam Sullivan and Megan Tingley have both eclipsed the 50-goal mark this spring to lead the Plymouth State offense, with Tingley tallying 55 scores and dishing out a team-high 42 helpers for 97 points and Sullivan leading the squad in goals with 57 (16A, 73PTS).
- With 57 draw controls, Sydney Dubois leads the Panthers, while Kimberly Zuccaro has posted team highs in ground balls and caused turnovers with 62 and 33, respectively.
- Clarissa Foote (13-3) has started all 17 games in net for the Panthers, racking up 138 saves to own a 9.99 goals against average and a 49.1 save percentage in 858:47 minutes.
BY THE NUMBERS
|No. 6 Amherst||No. 17 SUNY Cortland||Plymouth State|
|Goals Per Game||13.29||14.42||14.59|
|Goals Against Avg.||7.06||8.39||9.84|
|Shots on Goal %||78.3%||72.1%||75.9%|
|Draw Controls P/G||11.88||13.68||13.24|
|Free Position %||44.4%||41.6%||39.3%|
|Clears||243-290 (83.8%)||315-371 (84.9%)||219-310 (70.7%)|