AMHERST, Mass. – The Purple & White owned a 27-12 edge in shot differential and tallied goals from four different players, but a 3-0 run by the Athenas midway through the second half proved too much to overcome as the fifteenth-ranked Amherst College women's lacrosse team fell to Claremont-Mudd-Scripps, 5-4 Friday afternoon at Pratt Field at Lehrman Stadium.
With the loss, Amherst falls to 2-2 on the season, while CMS improves to 6-1 overall. Amherst returns to action on Tuesday, March 21 when they host non-conference opponent Springfield College beginning at 6:30 p.m.
The Purple & White opened scoring 3:22 into the matchup as Sabrina Solow '19 notched her first goal of spring to give Amherst a 1-0 edge. The Athenas responded five minutes later as Corie Hack posted an unassisted tally to knot the score at 1-1 following a wide shot and ground ball pickup.
Senior captain Andrea Rijo began the scoring play on what proved to be Amherst's final goal of the first half in the defensive end, causing a turnover, securing the ground ball and leading the charge on the clear. Earning a free position shot with 15:59 remaining on the clock, Katherine Malone '20 converted on the opportunity to give the Purple & White its second lead of the contest, 2-1.
CMS struck once more before the horn to set the score at 2-2, with Emily Cohen potting her first of three goals on the day at the 11:48 mark.
Nearly capitalizing on a shot attempt with time winding down, Kate Wyeth '17 fired a shot towards goal at the two minute warning, but her attempt rang off the post.
Starting off the second half in similar fashion to the first, Amherst needed just 4:05 to find nylon and regain the lead, 3-2. Netting her team-high ninth goal of the year, Julia Crerend '18 beat the CMS netminder low right side to give the Purple & White a one goal edge.
The Athenas roared back with three straight scores over the next 10 minutes of action as Cohen potted a goal with 24:55 to play on a dish from Lauren Clubb before securing a hat trick while up a player at the 17:08 mark to give CMS its first lead the of game, 4-3. Hannah Graves tallied what stood as the game-winner 3:18 later, gathering a pass from Clubb and ripping a shot past the Amherst goalkeeper to give the Athenas a two-goal advantage with 13:50 remaining in regulation.
Wyeth brought Amherst back within one at the 8:41 mark, with Crerend connecting with Wyeth five yards out, however the Purple & White were unable to deliver a game-tying goal in the final minutes of action despite owning a 4-1 edge in shots as CMS held on to the 5-4 victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Amherst outshot CMS, 27-12, including a 14-10 advantage in shots on goal in the contest.
- Kyra Gardner '18 (1-2) made five stops for Amherst in between the pipes in the losing effort, while Teresa Despres (2-0) recorded 10 saves in a solid performance in net for CMS.
- Mary Grace Cronin '18 led the Purple & White with five ground balls while five other Amherst players chipped in two each.
- Kate Burns '19 logged a team-high three draw controls, while Kelly Karczewski '18 added two more for Amherst.
- Both Cronin and Claire Cagnassola '17 caused two turnovers in the outing.
- Luisa Valles led the Athenas in ground balls with six, while Hack registered team-high two draw controls in the outing.