CLERMONT, Fla. – Amherst College used four goals by Hanna Krueger and three from Rachel Passarelli '16 to help lift the 12th-ranked Purple & White to a 14-6 victory over McDaniel College in Tuesday morning's non-conference women's lacrosse game in Clermont, Fla.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Amherst scored seven goals in each half including one on a free position shot.
- Tied 3-3 in the first half, Amherst scored four of the final five goals to stake a 7-4 lead at halftime, and then scored seven straight goals to begin the second half en route to the 14-6 victory.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS
- A free position shot goal by Krueger began the scoring just 58 seconds into the contest as Amherst took an early, 1-0 lead.
- McDaniel responded with a man-up goal by Samantha Barbeito following a feed from Maggie Quinn, but the Purple & White responded with a pair of goals by Kate Wyeth '17 and Mia Haughton '16 to make it 3-1. Mary Grace Cronin '18 notched the helpers on the goals.
- Back-to-back goals by Maggie Quinn and Allison Farrell pulled McDaniel back to 3-3 with 19:31 to play in the opening half before the Purple & White rattled off four straight markers.
- Claire Cagnassola '17, Krueger, Haughton, and Passarelli each found the back of the cage for Amherst, with Mary Grace Croning '18 and Cagnassola providing helpers on the first and last goals of the stretch to help Amherst take a 7-3 lead with 8:44 on the clock.
- Farrell rounded out the scoring for the first half when she capitalized on a feed from Barbeito with 5:49 left to play to set the score at 7-4 in favor of the Purple & White at intermission.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS
- It was all Amherst to start the second stanza as Krueger ignited a 7-0 run 2:01 into the period.
- Wyeth, Coco Kusiak '17, and Dakota Foster '18 each scored a goal, while Passarelli struck twice more to set the score at 13-4 at the 18:54 mark.
- Two minutes later, Krueger found the back of the net for a fourth time to set the score at 14-4.
- Cagnassola, Haughton, Devin O'Connor '16, Krueger and Foster each provided assists during the seven-goal span.
- McDaniel rounded out the scoring as Barbeito found Quinn at the 9:30 mark, while Annemarie Duerr scored on a free position shot with 3:38 to play to set the final score at 14-6.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Amherst goalie Christy Forrest '16 made eight saves between the pipes, while Kyra Gardner '18 made one in 5:08 of action.
- Haughton picked up two ground balls, while Casey Tucker '19 caused a pair of turnovers. Krueger added five draw controls in the winning effort.
- McDaniel's Bethany Ray led all players with three ground balls, while goalie Katelin Johnson made 14 stops in the losing effort.
- Amherst returns to action Thursday, March 17 when it plays Dickinson College at 3 p.m. in Claremont, Fla.