Jeffs Hang on for 11-10 Win Over Skidmore

AMHERST, MA – The 16th-ranked Amherst College women's lacrosse team watched a six-goal lead disappear in the second half of its game against Skidmore College Tuesday evening at Gooding Field, but the Jeffs held on for the 11-10 win thanks to a last-minute goal from Marta Randall '13 (Monkton, MD). 

Amherst held an 8-2 lead five minutes into the second half, but the Thoroughbreds stormed all the way back to tie the score at 9-9 and again at 10-10. Skidmore had the ball in Amherst's zone with only two minutes to play, but a costly turnover and foul handed possession back over to the hosts. After Randall converted a free-position attempt with 26 seconds remaining in regulation, substitute goalie MC McClellan '14 (Denver, CO) came up with a point-blank save with only three seconds on the clock to preserve the win. 

Randall would finish with two goals for Amherst (8-4), but it was first-year Annelies O'Dea who led the way with three goals and one assist. Lauren Madden had four goals for Skidmore (9-5), while Kimberly Segalas and Lauren McCarthy added two apiece. The game was a tale of two halves, with Amherst holding a 15-7 shot advantage in the first period and Skidmore out-shooting the Jeffs by a 13-5 margin in the second. 

Skidmore took a 1-0 lead when Lindsay Stavola fed Robin Fetterolf 50 seconds into the game, but the next seven goals would come from Amherst. Seven Lord Jeffs scored during the dominant stretch, as they took a 7-1 lead with 2:42 remaining in the first half before the Thoroughbreds finally broke a 26:40 scoring drought when Madden picked up her first of four tallies. 

Amherst pushed its lead to 8-2 on a free-position goal by O'Dea early in the second half, but Skidmore accounted for seven of the game's next eight goals to tie the score at 9-9. Segalas highlighted the Thoroughbred run when she picked off a pass deep in her team's defensive end and carried the ball the length of the field, rewarding herself with an unassisted goal that brought the score to 9-8. Less than two minutes later McCarthy tied things up at 9-9 when she dropped down for a low shot that beat McClellan with 10:41 to go. 

Skidmore goalie Rachel Klein came up with a big save on a free-position attempt by Allie Horwitz '12 (Woodbridge, CT), but only 23 seconds later Horwitz found O'Dea from behind the net for a goal that gave the Jeffs a 10-9 lead with 5:57 to go. Madden countered by driving through traffic and bouncing a shot past McClellan to knot the score at 10-10 with 5:11 remaining, but neither team would score again until Randall delivered the game winner. 

McClellan played the final 12:24 in relief of Lamia Harik '12 (Rye Brook, NY), who made four saves and allowed eight goals in the first 47:36. Klein came up with seven stops in 60 minutes for Skidmore. 

The Lord Jeffs will return to action this Saturday when they travel to take on Wesleyan University. The Thoroughbreds will continue their road trip Thursday with a 5 p.m. game at Middlebury.