AMHERST, Mass. – The Mammoths found the back of the net in all three periods as the No. 8 Amherst College women's ice hockey team battled past Little III rival Wesleyan, 3-2 Saturday evening at Orr Rink on Senior Day.
With the win, Amherst closes out the regular season with a 14-6-4 overall ledger and a 9-4-3 mark in league play, while Wesleyan falls to 7-13-4 overall (2-10-4 NESCAC). Amherst returns to action next Saturday, Feb.24 when they a NESCAC Championship Quarterfinal matchup.
Jackie Kilar nearly got the Cardinals on the board 13 minutes into the contest, picking up her own blocked shot in the slot and firing another attempt on target, however Bailey Plaman '18 stood strong in net and picked up the kick save.
Taking a 1-0 lead late in the opening period, Eliza Laycock '20 tallied her fourth score of the winter with 3:07 on the clock. Crashing the net, Laycock powered Rose Mroczka's '21 rebound over the pad of the keeper and into the bottom left corner.
Kaitlin Hoang '2 doubled the Mammoths' advantage midway through the second stanza following an Anne Malloy '20 no-look dish to Mia DelRosso '21 at the top of the point. Ripping a low wrister towards target, Hoang redirected DelRosso's shot just inside the right post.
Keeping Wesleyan within striking distance, Allegra Grant came up with a clutch save on an Alex Toupal '18 breakaway attempt at the 7:15 mark, as Grant slid across the crease just in time to smother Toupal's backhander.
Gina Mangiafridda cut the Amherst lead in half with 3:46 remaining in the second, as she corralled a breakout pass from Cici Frattasio at center ice and raced towards net. Earning space, Mangiafridda sniped a wrist shot from the left dot top-shelf, far side.
On the power play following a Cardinal interference call with 8:39 to play in regulation, DelRosso extended the Mammoths lead to 3-1. Gathering a pass from Jocelyn Hunyadi '19 at the top of the point, DelRosso powered a slap shot into the bottom left corner.
Pulling their goalkeeper in a final effort to even the game, Maddie Nash brought the Cardinals within one, sending a shot from the point through traffic and past the Amherst keeper, five-hole with 59.7 seconds to play to make it 3-2, however the Mammoths held on as time wound down to claim the victory.
- In between the pipes, Plaman made nine stops in 29:14 for Amherst, while Sabrina Dobbins '18 (5-1-0) racked up nine saves in the final 30:46 in the winning effort. Allegra Grant (3-11-4) registered 40 stops for the Cardinals in the loss.
- The Mammoths owned a dominative 43-20 advantage in shot differential in the matchup.
- On the power play, Amherst finished 1-for-6, while Wesleyan went 0-for-3 up a skater.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Today's game marked Senior Day for the Mammoths who will graduate seven seniors following the 2017-18 season, including: assistant captain and goalkeeper Bailey Plaman, forward Brenna Sullivan, captain and forward Alex Toupal, captain and forward Emma Griese, defender Kristen Molina, assistant captain and goalkeeper Sabrina Dobbins and team manager Antonella Dominguez.
- As a class, this year's seniors have compiled an overall mark of 67-22-15, a .715 winning percentage, with a 38-13-13 record against NESCAC opponents and a 34-7-9 record at home. During that time, Amherst has outscored opponents 326-156, and has qualified for three NESCAC Championship tournaments, including two appearances in the NESCAC Finals and a trip to the NCAA First Round in 2015-16. Congratulations seniors!