MIDDLETONTOWN, Conn. – The No. 5/4 Amherst College women's ice hockey team used goals from six different Purple & White skaters to down Little Three rival Wesleyan University, 6-0, Friday evening at Spurrier-Snyder Rink.
Amherst (19-1-3, 12-1-2 NESCAC
Wesleyan (16-4-3, 12-0-3 NESCAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Purple & White scored in all three periods en route to its sixth shutout of the season.
- Amherst held a dominating 31-18 edge in shots on goal.
- Neither team was able to convert on its power play opportunities, with both the Purple & White and Wesleyan going 0-for-2.
- Bailey Plaman '18 (6-0-0) registered 18 saves, including seven in the final period, in the winning effort in between the pipes for Amherst, while Corinne Rivard (1-7-1) racked up 31 saves in net for the Cardinals.
- It took just 5:50 for Amherst to get on the scoreboard, with Emma Griese '18 scoring the game-winner after corralling a pass from Brenna Sullivan '18.
- Amherst would increase its lead to two at the 9:05 mark as Kristen Molina '18 sent a shot from the point past Rivard for her second score of the season.
- Eileen Harris '16, Katelyn Pantera '19 and Erin Martin '16 each scored an unanswered goal in the second period to increase the Purple & White's lead to five heading into the final stanza.
- Notching the final goal of the second period, Martin made it a five-goal game at the 16:09 mark, collecting a pass from Harris in the slot and ripping a low shot into the left corner of the goal.
- Sophomore Alex Toupal scored the game's final goal with six minutes remaining in the matchup, beating her defender out of the corner and sending a wrist shot from the high slot into the netting.
- Martin and Harris led all skaters with seven shots on frame apiece, while Alex Horton led Wesleyan with three shots on target.
- Amherst and Wesleyan face off again tomorrow, Feb. 20 at Orr Rink beginning 5 p.m. The game marks the regular season finale and Senior Day for the Purple & White.