AMHERST, Mass. – The No. 5/4 Amherst College women's ice hockey team scored two goals in both the first and second stanza and senior captain Erin Martin'16 tallied her third hat trick of the season as the Purple & White powered past Hamilton College, 5-0, in Saturday afternoon's NESCAC tilt at Orr Rink.
Hamilton (11-8-2, 5-6-2 NESCAC)
Amherst (17-1-3, 10-1-2 NESCAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Amherst scored in all three periods, tallying two goals in both the first and second stanza, and one goal in the third period.
- Martin posted her third hat trick of the season in the 5-0 victory.
- Neither side was able to capitalize on power-play opportunities, as Amherst finished the matchup 0-for-3 and Hamilton finished 0-for-1.
- Sabrina Dobbins '18 (13-1-3) registered 26 saves for Amherst en route to her third shutout of the season. Sam Walther (9-9-2) made 10 saves for Hamilton in one period of action in between the pipes, while Jaime Meroz made 18 saves in a relief effort.
- Amherst was first to strike at the 14:41 mark as Jocelyn Hunyadi '19 sent a well-placed pass to Emma Griese '18 in the slot who one-timed a shot past the Hamilton net minder.
- Martin made it a 2-0 contest just over ten minutes later. In an impressive individual effort Miriam Eickhoff stepped up at the offensive blueline to keep the puck in the zone, collected the puck, and found Marin in front of the net.
- Scoring her second goal of the matchup, Martin gave the Purple & White a two-goal cushion 2:40 into the second stanza. Sophomore Alex Toupal and junior Lynndy Smith were credited with the assists on the scoring play.
- Rounding out Purple & White scoring in the second period, Martin notched her third tally of the game with 2:10 to play in the second period. Corralling a pinpoint pass from Camille Herzog '17 at the offensive blueline, Martin sent a breakaway shot into the bottom right corner of the net. The score marked Martin's third hat trick of the season.
- Hannah Bartlett had a close call for Hamilton with 11:32 on the clock in the third stanza, sending a shot from the right faceoff dot on target, but Dobbins was able to make a pad save.
- Toupal gave Amherst a 5-0 lead at the 8:07 mark in the final period as she roofed a shot from the top of the left circle past Jaime Meroz short side.
- Hannah Bartlett led all skaters with seven shots on goal, while Martin led the Purple & White with six shots on goal.
- Hamilton returns home to take on Connecticut College on Feb. 19 at 7 p.m.
- Amherst travels to Middletown, Conn. to face off against Little Three rival Wesleyan University on Feb. 19. The puck is set to drop at 7 p.m.