RYE, N.Y. – The No. 5/5 Amherst College women's hockey team scored four goals in both the second and third period to power past Manhattanville College, 9-1, in non-conference play Saturday afternoon.
- Senior captain Erin Martin gave Amherst a 1-0 lead with 14 seconds remaining in the opening period, deking around the Manhattanville net minder after a leading pass from Camille Herzog '17 gave Martin a breakaway.
- Up a skater at the 2:09 mark in the second stanza, it was once again Martin who was able to find the back of the net to give the Purple & White a two-goal advantage. Lynndy Smith '17 and Caitlyn Ryan '17 were credited with the assists on the scoring play.
- First-year Katie Savage would make it a 3-0 contest less than 30 seconds later, collecting a drop pass from Jocelyn Hunyadi '19 and rifling a slap shot from the right point into the netting.
- Martin would earn a hat trick with 9:35 to play in the second period, after impressive back-and-forth passing between Martin and Alex Toupal '18 left Martin wide open on the back door of the goal.
- Manhattanville would score its first and only goal of the game a minute later as Kyra Herbert one-timed a pass from Jordan Roetzer past the Amherst goalie.
- Hunyadi rounded out Amherst scoring in the second period, collecting a pass from Brenna Sullivan '18 in the slot and sending a wrist shot into the goal with 16 seconds remaining to give the Purple & White a 5-1 lead.
- Amherst would score four more times in the final period of action to secure the 9-1 victory, with Sarah Wagner '19, Savage, Eileen Harris '16, and Toupal each notching a score apiece.
- Amherst held a dominating a 53-12 advantage in shots on goal in the matchup.
- Bailey Plaman (3-0-0) made11 saves in the winning effort for Amherst, while Rose Pijaca (3-5-0) racked up 37 saves in between the pipes for the Valiants.
- Amherst returns to Orr Rink for a midweek non-conference matchup with Salem State on Tuesday, Feb. 9 at 7 p.m.
- Manhattanville takes on New England College at home on Feb. 12 at 3 p.m.