AMHERST, Mass. – Senior assistant captain Eileen Harris was sensational for the Purple & White, scoring twice in the second stanza to help lift No. 5/5 Amherst to a 3-2 victory over Saint Anselm in a non-conference matchup at Orr Rink Wednesday evening.
Saint Anselm (16-4-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saint Anselm held a 37-25 edge in shots, including a 12-5 advantage in the final period.
- Harris scored twice in the second stanza on second effort plays, but the Hawks would pull within one to make in a 2-1 game heading into the final period.
- Meaghan Spurlin tied the game at 2-2 with 3:31 on the clock, however Alex Toupal '18 scored the game winner with under a minute and a half to play in an impressive individual effort play.
- Sabrina Dobbins (12-1-3) racked up 35 saves in a stellar performance in between the pipes for the Purple & White, while Hannah Synnott (14-2-0) registered 22 stops for the Hawks in the matchup.
- Saint Anselm held a 12-4 advantage in shots on frame in a face-paced, but scoreless, first period.
- Harris gave Amherst a 1-0 lead just 12 seconds into the second stanza as she found a rebound on the goal line and tapped it past Synnott. Erin Martin '15 and Toupal were credited with the assists on the play.
- Three minutes later the Purple & White made it a 2-0 contest with Harris crashing the net and sending a rebound through the legs of the Hawks's netminder from her knees.
- The Hawks pulled within one with 4:52 to play in the second period. Corralling a pass from Alison Quinn in the middle of the ice, Alex Starzyk rifled a shot from point blank range into the bottom left corner of the net.
- Meaghan Spurlin tied the game at 2-2 with 3:31 remaining in regulation. Collecting a D-to D pass from Caley Mueller at the left point, Spurlin sent a slap shot off the stick of Harris and into the top corner of the goal.
- Toupal scored the game-winning goal with 1:22 on the clock as she won a scrum at mid-ice, beat two defenders and sent a backhander into a wide-open net after faking out Synnott.
- Toupal led Amherst with six shots on target, followed by Martin and Harris who each sent five shots on net apiece. Kaitlyn Spillane put a team-leading five shots on frame for the visiting Hawks.
- Saint Anselm travels to the University of New England on Feb. 6. The puck is set to drop at 1 p.m.
- Amherst takes the ice against Manhattanville in Purchase, N.Y. on Saturday, Feb. 6 beginning at 4 p.m.