Posted: Jan 30, 2016
WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. – The No. 6/5 Amherst women's ice hockey defeated archrival Williams College for the second time in as many days, 4-1, Saturday evening.
Amherst (13-1-3, 9-1-2 NESCAC)
Williams (11-7-0, 7-5-0 NESCAC)
- Amherst and Williams skated to a scoreless first stanza, with the Ephs holding a slight edge in shots, 11-9.
- Katelyn Pantera '19 opened the scoring five minutes into the second period, rifling a shot from the top of the left circle through the legs of the Eph net minder to give Amherst a 1-0 lead.
- Williams evened the score at one apiece just over six minutes later as Abby Brustad collected a rebound in the crease and sent the puck over the goal line.
- Alex Toupal '18 scored the game-winning goal at the 1:38 mark in the matchup's final period. Up a skater on the power play, Toupal collected a pass from Erin Martin '16 on the weak side and sent a wrist shot into the top corner of the net.
- The Purple & White earned a two-goal cushion with 2:23 remaining in the game as Toupal sent a low shot from the top of the right circle into the far corner of the net.
- Martin added the game's final insurance tally with 57 seconds to play, sending a shot from just inside the blueline into an empty net.
- Martin and Katie Savage '19 led the Purple & White with five shots on target apiece, while a trio of Eph skaters each put five shots on frame for Williams.
- Amherst held a narrow advantage in shots, 34-31.
- Christina Cleroux (9-6-0) made 33 saves in the losing effort, while Sabrina Dobbins '18 (11-1-3) registered 31 saves en route to her 11th victory of the season.
- Amherst returns home to take on Saint Anselm's on Wednesday, Feb. 3 starting at 7 p.m.
- The Ephs face off against Trinity College at home on Feb. 5 at 7 p.m.