AMHERST, Mass. – No. 6/5 Amherst women' ice hockey team used a late goal by Brenna Sullivan '18 to battle to a 3-1 victory over Colby College in Saturday afternoon's NESCAC tilt.
Colby (5-9-3, 3-6-1 NESCAC)
Amherst (11-1-3, 7-1-3 NESCAC)
- Amherst and Colby ended the first period in a 1-1 tie, with the Purple & White outshooting the Mules 6-3.
- Down a skater at the 15:14 mark, sophomore Alex Toupal tallied her team-leading 11th goal of the season. Finding herself behind the defense after collecting a pass from Erin Martin '16 at center ice, Toupal beat the Colby net minder on the breakaway opportunity.
- The Mules struck back less than two minutes later, as Bella Papapetros found the back on the net after cutting across the crease. Brooke Gary and Delaney Flynn were credited with the assists on the scoring play.
- The Purple & White nearly retook the lead with 1:55 remaining in the first stanza, but it was determined that there was a crease violation prior to Katie Savage's '19 shot crossing the goal line.
- Neither team was able to convert in a scoreless second period despite 22 shots being taken between the sides.
- Colby's best opportunity of the second stanza came at the 14:07 mark, with Papapetros's shot from the crease being narrowly turned away by a diving Sabrina Dobbins '18.
- With 9:33 remaining in the third period, Delaney Flynn sent a shot from the left face off dot off the far post but Amherst was able to clear the puck before the Mules threatened again.
- Brenna Sullivan '18 scored the game-winner for the Purple & White, poking the puck away from the Colby goalie and sending it into the netting with 4:56 to play.
- Up a skater after pulling their goalie with 1:53 remaining in the matchup, Colby applied heavy offensive pressure, but they were unable to even to score before the final buzzer.
- Eileen Harris '16 notched an insurance tally for Amherst with 27.9 seconds on the clock, one timing a pass from Alex Toupal '18 into the unguarded goal.
- Colby held a slight edge in shots on goal, 25-22.
- Dobbins (9-1-3) registered 24 saves in the outing, while Angelica Crites (5-8-2) made 19 saves in between the pipes for Colby.
- Colby travels to Hartford, Conn. to play Trinity on Jan. 29 at 7 p.m.
- Amherst hosts archrival Williams College for the third annual "Pink in the Rink" game on Friday, Jan. 29 starting at 7 p.m.