BRUNSWICK, Maine –A strong second stanza lifted the No. 6/3 Amherst College women's ice hockey team to a 3-1 victory over Bowdoin College in Saturday afternoon's NESCAC matchup at Watson Arena.
Amherst (9-1-3, 5-1-2 NESCAC)
Bowdoin (6-6-0, 3-3-0 NESCAC)
- Bowdoin drew first blood 11:15 into the first stanza when Julie Dachille found the back of the net in a breakaway opportunity after an Amherst defender lost an edge.
- Just over a minute later Amherst forced a turnover in the offensive end and even the score at 1-1. Positioning herself in front of the Bowdoin net minder, first-year Katie Savage deflected Eileen Harris's '16 shot into the netting for her second tally of the season.
- Katelyn Pantera '18 scored what proved to be the game winner with 2:17 left to play in the second. In a sensational second effort play, Pantera tapped the puck over the goalline after a communication miscue lead the Bowdoin defense to believe Lan Crofton had covered the puck. Savage was credited with the assist on the play.
- A scoreless second period saw Amherst edge the Polar Bears in shots on goal, 9-8.
- Up a skater on the power play, Camille Herzog '17 added an insurance goal with 12:10 remaining in the contest. The score was the first of Herzog's collegiate career.
- The Purple & White outshot Bowdoin 31-25, including 17 shots in the final period.
- Amherst goalie Sabrina Dobbins '18 collected 24 saves in the winning effort, while Lan Crofton racked up 28 saves between the pipes for Bowdoin.
- Amherst returns to Orr Rink to take on Colby College on Friday, Jan. 22 beginning at 7 p.m.
- Bowdoin travels to Endicott on Jan. 19 for a 7 p.m. contest.