Jan 03, 2016
AMHERST, Mass. – Seniors Erin Martin and Eileen Harris each scored two goals apiece as the No. 5/6 Amherst women's ice hockey team downed Southern Maine, 4-1, to earn its eighth consecutive victory.
Southern Maine (2-7-1)
- Outshooting the Huskies in all three frames, Amherst finished the game holding a 35-26 advantage in shots.
- After nearly 19 minutes of back-and-forth action, Martin scored her seventh goal of the season, collecting a pass from Eileen Harris near the offensive blue line and rifling a shot past Davis into the top left corner of the net.
- The Purple & White doubled its lead in the 31st minute of play. Taking advantage of a power play opportunity, Harris found good positioning on the left side of the net and tipped in the shot from assistant captain Caroline Bomstein '16 with 10:56 remaining in the second.
- Cassandra Sherman had one of Southern Maine's best opportunities in the matchup with 5:50 to play in the third. Intercepting a pass, beating her defender, and sending a shot off the pipe from point blank range.
- Undeterred by the close call, Amherst extended its lead to three with just over six minutes left to play in the game. Scoring her second goal of the game, Martin walked out of the left corner and sent a shot past Davis short side.
- Katie Couture scored the Huskies lone goal with three minutes to play, corralling a bouncing puck at her defensive blue line, skating through the neutral zone and cutting across the crease to beat Sabrina Dobbin '18 on the far side.
- Amherst scored the game's final goal less than a minute later, with Harris finding the puck in a scramble in front of the net to score her third of the season.
- Dobbins finished the game with 25 saves, while Davis made 31 saves in the losing effort.
- Harrris led Amherst with five shots on frame, while Alex Toupal '18 and Caitlyn Ryan '17each took four shots apiece.
- McKenna Russell led the Huskies with four shots in the matchup, while Ally Vanidestine registered three shots in the losing effort.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Along with No. 1/1 Plattsburgh State, Amherst remains the only undefeated team in all of division three women's hockey.
- The Huskies resume action on Tuesday, Jan. 5 in Gorham, Maine when they take on Sacred Heart beginning at 4 p.m.
- Amherst returns to the ice on Friday, Jan. 8 when they take on NESCAC rival Middlebury College at 3 p.m. at Orr Rink.