NEW LONDON, Conn. – The No. 10 Amherst College women's ice hockey team used a two-goal third period to power past Connecticut College in Saturday afternoon's NESCAC contest in New London, Conn.
Amherst (2-0-0, 2-0-0 NESCAC)
Conn. College (0-2-0, 0-2-0 NESCAC)
- Amherst netted the game's first goal at the 11:29 mark of the first period when Lynndy Smith '17 fired in her first goal of the season following a pass from Sara Culhane '17 to give the Purple & White a 1-0 lead.
- After closing out the first period with an 11-9 advantage in shots on goal, Amherst struck again early in the second period when senior captain Erin Martin lit the lamp on the power play for her first tally of the season in the sixth minute of action to give the Purple & White a 2-0 cushion. Smith and classmate Caitlyn Ryan assisted on the score.
- With just 3:01 left to play in the second stanza, Conn. College responded with a power play goal of its own, as Kate Kohl potted her first score of the season following a feed from Cassie Hunter to pull the Camels to within one (2-1).
- Conn. College held a 13-11 edge in shots on goal in the second period, as shots were all square at 22 apiece after 40 minutes.
- In the third frame, Amherst exploded with offensive pressure, notching 20 shots on target compared to just three for the Camels.
- The Purple & White found the back of the net at the 15:49 mark when Emma Griese '18 collected her first goal of the campaign after a dish from Culhane, while Alex Toupal '18 put the finishing touches on the victory with and empty net strike with 53 seconds on the clock for her first goal of the season. Jamie McNamara '19 and Ryan provided the helpers on the visitor's fourth score.
- Sabrina Dobbins '18 picked up her second win in as many days, making 12 of her 24 saves in the second period.
- Katherine Chester suffered the loss for the Camels, making 10 saves in each of the first two periods, and 18 in a busy third frame.
- Amherst returns to league action Friday and Saturday, December 4-5 at Trinity College. Friday's game begins at 7:30 p.m., followed by a 4 p.m. start on Saturday.
- Conn. College returns to the ice Sunday, Nov. 29 when it travels to Johnson & Wales University for a non-league tilt. Game time is set for 2:55 p.m.