NEW LONDON, Conn. - The No. 10 Amherst College women's ice hockey team used a goal from first-year Jocelyn Hunyadi to help seal a 1-0 victory over Conn. College in Friday evening's season and NESCAC opener.
Amherst (1-0-0, 1-0-0 NESCAC)
Conn. College (0-1-0, 0-1-0 NESCAC)
- In the opening period, Amherst held a slim, 10-7 advantage in shots on goal, and was able to find the game's lone goal late in the first. With three seconds left before the first intermission, Hunyadi struck on a delayed penalty as Brenna Sullivan '18 and Caroline Bomstein '16 delivered assists on the play to give the Purple & White a 1-0 lead.
- In the second stanza, the Camels had a pair of early opportunities with an extra skater to equalize, but stellar penalty killing by Amherst, including eight saves by sophomore goalie Sabrina Dobbins, kept the visitors in front.
- In the third stanza, both sides had a chance on the power play but neither team could convert as the Purple & White held on for a 1-0 victory.
- Dobbins finished with 19 saves in the winning effort, while her counterpart, Katherine Chester, made 31 saves, including 15 in the third session, in the losing effort.
- The sides resume NESCAC action Saturday afternoon at 3 p.m. when they square off against each other once more in New London, Conn.