AMHERST, Mass. – The No. 1/1 Amherst College women's basketball team used a strong second and third quarter effort to down No. 22/T-19 University of Mary Washington, 60-51 in Saturday evening's NCAA Division III Championship Second Round tilt at LeFrak Gymnasium.
With the win, Amherst improves to 29-0 on the season and advances to the round of 16 next weekend, March 10-11. Mary Washington concludes its season 24-5 overall.
After a tightly contested first quarter saw Amherst come away with a 9-6 lead after 10 minutes of play, the Purple & White quickly jumped out to a 12-6 lead on a trey by Meredith Doswell '17 to open the scoring in the second stanza. Mary Washington answered scoring seven unanswered points as Kelsey Dean powered in a layup before Kendall Parker swished a pair of free throws. A Megan Green triple at the 6:34 mark then gave the Eagles a 13-12 advantage, but four straight buckets by Madeline Eck '20, Jaimie Renner '17, Jackie Nagle '18 and Hannah Hackley '18 allowed Amherst stake a 20-13 lead. Three-pointers by Hackley and Ali Doswell '17, followed by five points from Renner, allowed the hosts to post a 31-19 lead at intermission.
Another surge by Amherst in the third quarter saw the Purple & white can five treys including two each from Renner and Ali Doswell, and one from Meredith Doswell as Amherst opened up a 51-35 advantage. Mary Washington rallied late in the fourth frame, as layup by Green at the 12 second and four second marks helped pull the Eagles to within seven at 58-51, but two Renner free throws helped seal the win for Amherst.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Renner finished with a game-high 18 points on 5-of-11 shooting from the floor and a 6-for-8 effort from the free throw line. Ali Doswell followed with 17 points on the strength of five triples, while Hackley collected 11 points.
- Meredith Doswell pulled down a game-best nine rebounds and added eight points, three assists and three steals, while Renner also chipped in four assists in the winning effort. Hackley added six boards, while Renner and Ali Doswell contributed five each.
- Mary Washington was led by Brianne Comden's 14 points on 5-of-12 shooting, while Green followed with 12 points.
- Jordan Pamlanye, Elizabeth Dofflemyer and Parker collected five points apiece, while Green and Taylor Barton led the Eagles with eight rebounds each. Comden and Dofflemyer followed with seven boards each in the losing effort.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Amherst advances to the third round of the NCAA tournament for the 10th straight season and will take on Babson College (24-5).
- The Purple & White defeated the Beavers, 67-62 on Nov. 20 earlier this season during tip-off tournament action. Amherst is 4-0 against Babson in national postseason action having played them three straight times in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012.
- Also advancing to next weekend's pod is UMass-Dartmouth (24-5) and SUNY New Paltz (20-8).